Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

How to build a VGA connection for PS2?

If you're having hardware, software or emulation issues with your PlayStation, ask our experts here!

How to build a VGA connection for PS2?

Postby Irome88 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Can anyone post some guide or diagram on how to build an adapter with VGA video cable of the PS2 and other electrical components?

I have read around the web that you can do on the Playstation 2 and perhaps also on the PSX, but I have not found a complete diagram. If someone in the know, I was interested in building the VGA connection directly from the console PS2 (not the video cable), if you know how to do it, and especially if you find me a guide make me a huge favor.

Irome88 2

Re: How to build a VGA connection for PS2?

Postby atreyu187 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:19 pm

The big problem is even when you have a VGA cable it does not work on 99% of monitors and zero TV sets. It has to support SoG or sync on green which only older c64 style monitors support this. I have one from the official Linux kit and tried over 15 monitors and 6 TV sets. Only my pops old c64 yellow as all heck monitor worked. Every other one was grey colors. Also you need a mod chip to enable VGA for all games as it forces the mode as most do not support VGA out of the box as most are only 480i and some like ICO are only 240i and that game will not run on component cables either. S-video is the best you will get out of the system for that game.

The Unofficial Sega Wiki

All of my Uploads
atreyu187 13

Custom Title: Sega Fanatic!!

Postby atreyu187 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:00 pm

I just use an xRGB to upscale the 240i to 720p and avoid all video out put restrictions on all my systems. Everything looks good coming from an xRGB even my Atari 2600.

The Unofficial Sega Wiki

All of my Uploads
atreyu187 13

Custom Title: Sega Fanatic!!

Postby Irome88 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks for the detailed answers. However, I already knew that to have the VGA must have changed the PS2. I thought for the PSX and what should I do? also serves on the PSX a modchip for VGA?

(I had a doubt, I have a PS2 Slim SCPH-75004, softmodded with FreeMCBoot. HDTVPS2 and I GSM) with these I can use the VGA?

I would like to do the same thing that I wrote in the Xbox section. That is, taking a perfect signal (with Vsync and Hsync) directly from the PS2 motherboard. I've looked around sketches, photos or guides, but I have not found anything comprehensive. Even with this PS2 I do not know what kind of solder, diodes, resistors, capacitors, and chips be used. With the Xbox diagram on Vsync and Hsync used a SCHMITT TRIGGER 74HC14. In the diagrams of the PS2 used a hex inverters 7404, I do not know if they are similar or what they are, and above which one to use. I would be interested to know these things.

If you can help even on this thing, I thank you a thousand times. You can find some diagrams, or explain to me how to do?

Meanwhile, place what I have found it can be useful:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4337.msg29291#msg29291
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f107/vga-adapter-43525/
http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:playstation_2_rgb_sync

Irome88 2

Postby Irome88 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:10 am

Please, someone can answer it?

I'm not saying all the questions, but at least to understand how I can make a circuit for VGA from the ps2. That is once the balance 2 wires, one in Vsync, and the other in Hsync, what should I do to get the correct signal to the VGA? What should I use, a chip Hex Inverter or a Schmitt trigger?

Irome88 2

Return to Troubleshooting