Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

What causes out of sequence typing in Windows Vista & 7?

What causes out of sequence typing in Windows Vista & 7?

Postby 6gunn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:06 pm

OK, I've searched for an answer to this online & everywhere and have not found any answers.
I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 Running Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
My friend has the same laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
+++++
What is happening:
Both of us are experiencing (right now) an issue with typing in Windows Live email/ Hotmail (or wordpad, notepad, ANYWHERE) where characters typed are out of sequence.
The position of your intended typing hops around so that "Hello, how are you?" may end up looking like "Hlleo, hwo aree ouy?"
We have run scans with Avast anti-virus, Ccleaner, Super-AntiSpywre, Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, and everything else in between with no fix.
In addition to the typing issue, on my own Vista desktop, an icon may become "highlighted" like as if I had clicked once on it.
Then, in a random fashion another different icon will be jumped to, then another, and on, and on, like something is LOOKING for something.
+++++
Any ideas on how to fix this or what is causing the problem?
My Vista OS has been in service for several years.
The problem eventually sometimes goes away after several days, but is aggravating as hell when it's present.
My friend's laptop has been in service for a few weeks, and 2 days ago developed the issue.
He's going nuts trying to create a resume'.

6gunn 6

Custom Title: catwacker

Re: What causes out of sequence typing in Windows Vista & 7?

Postby EarthwormJames » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 pm

LOL, this actually happens to me too. I type stuff and if comes out backwards on Vista. I have no friggin idea what the hell the deal is. What browser are you using? Opera here. It happens the most when doing a google search. I think. I don't think it's a virus though. It seems more like just a glitch. And I think it's just in Opera. Not sure.

The jumping icon thing, no that doesn't happen to me. But I navigate in a weird way so my desktop icons are always off.

Edit: I suspect the mousepad software. Is yours Synaptics?

EarthwormJames 6

Custom Title: Lumbricus Extraterrestris

Postby 6gunn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:54 pm

EarthwormJames wrote:LOL, this actually happens to me too. I type stuff and if comes out backwards on Vista. I have no friggin idea what the hell the deal is. What browser are you using? Opera here. It happens the most when doing a google search. I think. I don't think it's a virus though. It seems more like just a glitch. And I think it's just in Opera. Not sure.

The jumping icon thing, no that doesn't happen to me. But I navigate in a weird way so my desktop icons are always off.

Edit: I suspect the mousepad software. Is yours Synaptics?

I doubt if it can be blamed on the mousepad software as the same problem would occur on my Dell Dimension 4600i tower that I quit using a couple of years ago as my main PC.
+++++
Browser that I use most is Firefox (The latest update 52.9.0 for my Vista).
Other browsers installed and rarely used: Avast Safezone, Google Chrome, IE8.
They're there for backup in case something crashes.
Anyway, I find no fixes on the web.
Thanks for your input.

6gunn 6

Postby donopatay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:32 am

That is strange. I have never heard or encountered something like that before. Although I had some similar ones where at some random times a certain character gets inputted until I press a key again but its probably a bad keyboard though. Maybe you have some kind of keylogger secretly installed?

donopatay Newbie

Postby EarthwormJames » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:40 am

It might be that modern browsers conflict with ancient mouses. My mouse software crashes all the time. I thought the two things could be related.

EarthwormJames 6

Custom Title: Lumbricus Extraterrestris

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:04 pm

I've found reference to similar problems in several places and the general belief is that this is maybe due to 'bounce' caused either by fast typing on a cheapish keyboard or some other keyboard fault.

These posts offer further explanation:-

https://superuser.com/questions/182894/ ... -very-fast

But the conclusion must be either that the keyboard is wearing out or, worse, the MB Keyboard Controller has developed a fault or its driver.

The fact this is happening on two different machines is not good news as it suggests that it isn't mechanical ie. not the keyboard itself.

It would be a good test first to try booting in Safe Mode and see if the keyboard problem described manifests itself there.

Then I'd be looking in Device Manager at the keyboard driver, particularly if you and your friend have updated the drivers or there has been some automatic driver updating recently. That could happen if you both used a third party driver updater or, more likely, have the Dell Command Update tool installed on your machines.

If so the new driver may have some unreported problem when being used with Vista and Win7 32bit. Maybe rolling it back or, if that doesn't work, actually updating it yourself could fix the problem.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby ZX81v2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Perhaps, Windowz has just started to eat itself...
7 has it's flaws, Vista, people still use this?!

Check your HOSTS file has not been contaminated...

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/b ... osts-file/

^^ If you don't know what to do

HOSTS Contamination is not classed as a virus or malware,
I advise using Spybot Search and Destroy 1.62 and entering Advanced mode, ticking HOSTS tick box and adding Spybot's Host file to your own. This 127.0.01's a hell of a lot of these scripts so your computer won't connect to them.

It might not be anything to do with this, but it's worth checking none the less.

ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby spreegun » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:14 pm

My friends laptop does this but its only on the right half of the keyboard, but it typs multiple adjacent keys like if you typ"o" it will typ "po" or "n" it will typ "mn" its dumb.

I tryed reseting to factory setting and checking for driver updates but it doesnt ever finding any, it just constently says checking for update and never stops.

CONSOLES I OWN
XBOX (Limited Edition green Halo case) - softmoded with xbmc 3.5 and 120gb HDD
SNES- Original
N64- Original
GBA SP
XBOX ONE
XBOX 360- Gears of War 3 case, red LEDs, RGH and 2tb internal hdd
GBC
GBA
Game Boy MICRO
PS1
and then a spare of every xbox except xbox one
spreegun 4

Postby ZX81v2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 pm

^^ This is a loose keyboard connection lead. on a Laptop. Little ribbon is not in place correctly.

ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby kremiso » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 pm

EarthwormJames wrote:...Opera here. It happens the most when doing a google search. I think. I don't think it's a virus though. It seems more like just a glitch. And I think it's just in Opera. Not sure.

Opera started to have glitches on my win 7 pc after release .52
so i builded myself a .51 portable version with updates disabled;
all back to normal, now

kremiso 7

Custom Title: Nostalgia Generator

Postby 6gunn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm

I have tried many things including replacing the keyboard with a NEW one.
The ribbon cable is inserted correctly (evenly and as far in as possible.)

I thought that MAYBE one of many programs or games installed might be the culprit.
So I removed many games and programs, and installed alternate programs and reinstalled desired previous programs where possible.

I have scanned with Spybot, SAS, Malwarebytes, Avast, Combofix, and found nothing to stop the problem.
Then after a day to a few days, without reason, the issue is no longer present.
For whatever reason this issue recurs, so far nobody elsewhere has the answer.
It's been going on for years.
+++++
Pertaining to my friend's laptop, I'll have to pay him a visit to see if I can help.

As for my own Vista laptop, as of today after morning boot, the gremlin has gone.
I KNOW it WILL resurface again as it has many times, then I'll do some of the things suggested here by you good people.
I appreciate the help.
Thanks.

6gunn 6

Postby kazin1979 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:16 pm

When I've had this issue it's been due to a liquid spill, happened twice in the past. Both times caused by liquid being spilt on the keyboard. I used a programme called 'sharp keys' for awhile to reassign a couple of letters to help with typing. Thankfully both times after a few days the issue resolved itself.

If you've had any issues liquid wise I suggest keeping it turned off for 3/4 days, get it all dried out. If you spill liquid on the keyboard just instantly power the machine off and let it dry.

If it's not a liquid spill then I assume whatever the liquid spill fried/affected on my laptop has been damaged on yours.

kazin1979 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Two Dell laptops with the same niche fault due to liquid spill? Seems unlikely but perhaps it could happen by coincidence. I won't be convinced until a new keyboard is tested over some time and the problem doesn't reappear.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby kazin1979 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:14 pm

HisDivineShadow wrote:Two Dell laptops with the same niche fault due to liquid spill? Seems unlikely but perhaps it could happen by coincidence. I won't be convinced until a new keyboard is tested over some time and the problem doesn't reappear.

Well true, likely not a spill on two separate machines. I'm not tech savvy enough to know what other cause there could be. I can state though that I've had the exact same issue and it's 100% been caused by a liquid spill on the keyboard.

kazin1979 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Agreed it is a very common problem if you don't police your drinking habits when using a PC and even more so a laptop, which being portable, is likely to subject to much greater risk of such accidents.

Just seems unlikely though that two friends similar laptops start exhibiting the problem at the same time. Perhaps they're both just messy drinkers or drool a lot. :)

As said the way to check whether that is the problem is by using them with another keyboard. I used a laptop for years with a USB keyboard because its own keyboard was ageing and worn before I was even given it. If the laptop's keyboard goes it is pretty much stuffed so using a new attached keyboard to minimise wear and tear was a sensible solution.

If you spill or dribble something it is probably only the attached keyboard that will be damaged and you can get a replacement for that under £15/$20.

HisDivineShadow 9

Return to Gadgets & Technology