Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

To buy a cheep new car or buy a better used car?

To buy a cheep new car or buy a better used car?

Postby deltax5 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:10 am

I was thinking in getting a car in the future. What would be best. To buy a cheaper car like a kia or a Hyundai brand new or get a used car for around the same price or cheeper. What used car would be best? My buddy has a mazda around 12 years old and it drives amazingly with little troubles, only problem it has is body rust. He had to do some body work after cuz the where the back wheels are started to rust and had to replace a windshield cuz of rust. I really don't want to deal with rust issues. If i end up getting a new car id pay the extra for rust proofing if it's a grand or so i guess.

PSP 2000 Infinity 6.61 with 64GB
PS2 FMB 1TB sata mod
Raspberry pi 128GB with video previews
Soft modded wii external 1tb a-data harddrive
deltax5 3

Re: To buy a cheep new car or buy a better used car?

Postby deltax5 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:14 am

think around 2020 ill have enough maybe with some help

PS2 FMB 1TB sata mod
deltax5 3

Postby catch_2030 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 am

www.carcomplaints.com is where I like to go to get an overview on which vehicles are an okay investment (none are good ones as cars inevitably are money pits). Always look at what kind of warranties are available when buying any car. New cars will typically have the better warranty overall (part of the cost) while used cars vary on warranties a lot. Some will still have some of the manufacture warranties left while others won't have any except for maybe a dealership warranty (typically 3 month or 3000 mile ones that cover powertrain only). Some cars can have additional warranties bought through companies like Allstate that cost about $1K to $2K extra. I have a 2011 Nissan Versa hatchback that had 32,000 miles when I bought it in 2015. It was listed at $8,900 but I got it down to $7,500. I put $2K down on it. But I then took an extended bumper to bumper warranty on it through Allstate which put it back up to $8K I had to finance after tags and fees. I took a 4 year loan on it and pay $200 a month. It's not a great car but it's one that gets me from work and back again with little issue. Definitely not a smooth driver or one you want to speed with.

Outside of that definitely go for what you can afford and what will be cheaper on the insurance! Everyone likes having that fast sports car but insurance is much higher on those than you're smaller cheaper cars. If you live in a place that has lots of bad snowy weather, consider an AWD or 4WD vehicle but keep in mind a FWD vehicle with good winter tread tires will be fine in most cases.

"Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon."
~E.M. Forster~

TIZ Legal Notice

Please report requests that have been filled!
catch_2030 Moderator

Custom Title: Can't stump the Trump!

Postby mutantchipmunk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 am

It's better to have a newer car with higher miles than an older car with less. Reason why is becuase car parts get better over time (im sure there are some exceptions) and are designed to last longer. I bought my 2013 nissan used 2 years ago but it was a certified pre-owned car so mostly everything is under warranty. If your credit is good then definitely get a new one. I see commercials all the time for new cars and the payment is always the same or less than what im paying now and with a shorter term and my interest rate is great. My personal opinion, avoid kia, chevy and dodge as the parts on most of their cheaper vehicles are horrible quality. I'd go with nissan, toyota, mazda, or at least hyundai. Look for a vehicle with a timing chain too as the timing chains do not need to be replaced like the belts. Nissan has a budget model called the Versa that uses the timing chain and you can usually buy them new for around $12,000. But you can buy a certified preowned altima or maxima around that price as well. And you'll see the quality difference between the two when you go check them out, same goes for other manufacturers. Or you can take what you got and go to the auctions and get a good running car for under $2000, sometimes under $1000 especially this time of year as people with kids already spent their tax refund. Auctions are usually held by Tow truck companies in your area.

mutantchipmunk 7

Custom Title: when did 2 player turn to co-op?

Postby Berzerk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:24 am

Do not buy any Chrysler vehicle they suck so bad. I would also recommend not buying any used cars that are from Texas or Florida. Be a lot of used cars with flood damage coming from those places.

Berzerk 4

Custom Title: No matter where you go there you are.

Postby stillcool » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:20 am

If I had the money I'd buy a 'nearly new' one, one which has had a few miles put on it, mostly from the dealership but is basically new, they do this to juggle their sales I'm led to believe and can knock off a fair bit of money too, we all know how much they lose the second you drive away don't we !

I had a Hyundai for just over 9 years, it was 3 different Accents, considering it's obvious cheapness it was a decent sturdy car that didn't go wrong much, the 1st one was scrapped so I used half of it to do up the next one and then the same on the third one, I'm a serious re-cycler. Hyundai are actually made with Mitsubishi parts and ideas given to them, the engines are totally 100% Mitsubishi ones not used anymore built by Hyundai in their factories.

Kia is the same, my girlfriend had a Piccanto, which was OK, Kia is the sister company to Hyundai and they use old tech and engines from Mazda cars, so just the same.

Another popular one here in the UK at least is Dacia, in the 70's they were the worst cars on the road, just like Skoda and look how good they are now, Dacia are really a budget name for Renault, and the cars are meant to be OK, in the UK they have a system where you can get the car cheap and return it after 3 years or keep it, a work mate of mine has had 2 different ones now over the last 5 years.

Berzerk wrote:I would also recommend not buying any used cars that are from Texas or Florida. Be a lot of used cars with flood damage coming from those places.

Good tip that, also be wary of any from coastal areas, I drove a friend to the northern tip of Scotland near Durness once to look at a 4 year old Merc, putting it bluntly it was fucked, the salty air and the kind of weather they get had rotted through this car like woodworm, Mercs for they money you expect to pay and keep paying are shit, with zero rust protection, 15 years down the line it will look like a Ford van.

Some Of My Gear & How They Connect
Spoiler:
Dreamcast - VGA or S-Video
Gamecube - Chipped RGB Scart
SNES - RGB Scart
PS1 - Chipped SCPH-9002 - RGB Scart
PS2 - Chipped Silver Phat SCPH-50003 + 500GB HDD - Component
PS2 - Aqua Phat SCPH-50003 + 1TB & SATA Adapter - Component
PS3 - Blue CECH-4003C Super Slim + 320GB HDDs - HDMI
PS3 - CECHG03 Phat + 500GB HDD - Component
Saturn - Chipped v1 - S-Video
Xbox - Chipped Crystal & Xecuter v2.6 + 160GB HDD - Component
Xbox 360 - Black Jasper + 80Gb HDD - VGA, HDMI or Component
Wii - Soft Modded - Component
Wii - Soft Modded - Wii2HDMI
Wii U - HDMI
stillcool 9

Postby sasapinjic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:47 am

We made art of used cars here , "thanks" to very bad economy lol .
Majority of cars here are German made .
Such as VW Golf 2nd to 4th generation , so from 20 to 30 years old , it is one heck of a car , can withstand everything ( our roads are crap to ) , engine is nearly eternal , car is made from good material so wont rust easy , low fuel consumption , FWD so good for bad weather/snow to . Car don't brake down easy and parts are dirty cheap anyway so cheap to maintain ! Most problems with new cars comes from maintenance, specifily from electronics failure , once those goes down it cost like hell to fix it , no such problems with older cars .
Second most used car here is Mercedes ones build in last decade of 20 th century , C class and such , similar to VW , just more classy .

German cars are build to last ! ;)

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(LightningBoltScumbag)

Postby ZX81v2 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

In UK, the "Kia" range is dirt cheap for a new cars. They ain't too shabby eather.
They seem to have cut out all the bullshit you get with a new car by not installing every gadget you could need in next 100 years or so...

I quite like em, worth checking their site

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby Moandain » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:56 pm

go for the better used car. Try to find a Toyota or Honda. They have a very low cost of ownership.

What a strange life and wild ride.
Moandain 3

Postby mrpink999 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Hyundai's and Kia's are great cars, especially if you live here in the U.S.

Also many Kia's use Hyundai engines, great engines, I've worked on many of em

I don't even know of an american car worth anything right now, avoid em at all cost

The used car market here is funny, Honda's and Nissans are the most expensive, followed by Toyota, then the Hyundai's and kia's, I prefer the Hyundai's myself, Owned an XG350 :D

Good luck

We will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers ~TiZ Staff 11:17
mrpink999 Moderator

Custom Title: Dilligaf

Postby stillcool » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:17 pm

I've always tried to own Japanese or Korean, currently own the first of the Honda Jazz's, they are called Honda Fit's I think in the states, they are decent, well spec'd too with tons of space for a smallish car, we have 2, mine is the Auto, my girlfriends is stick, you couldn't go far wrong with one of those, although I've heard the newer versions can be a bit plasticy.

Here in the UK every 10th car is a Jazz, although I might notice it more as I'm driving one.

Some Of My Gear & How They Connect
Spoiler:
Dreamcast - VGA or S-Video
Gamecube - Chipped RGB Scart
SNES - RGB Scart
PS1 - Chipped SCPH-9002 - RGB Scart
PS2 - Chipped Silver Phat SCPH-50003 + 500GB HDD - Component
PS2 - Aqua Phat SCPH-50003 + 1TB & SATA Adapter - Component
PS3 - Blue CECH-4003C Super Slim + 320GB HDDs - HDMI
PS3 - CECHG03 Phat + 500GB HDD - Component
Saturn - Chipped v1 - S-Video
Xbox - Chipped Crystal & Xecuter v2.6 + 160GB HDD - Component
Xbox 360 - Black Jasper + 80Gb HDD - VGA, HDMI or Component
Wii - Soft Modded - Component
Wii - Soft Modded - Wii2HDMI
Wii U - HDMI
stillcool 9

Postby Sabkahn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:55 pm

From experience working as a mechanic at a Kia Dealer I would never, ever even consider buying a Kia, neither new nor used. In terms of build quality you get what you pay for, wich means: They are cheap to buy, so you have to expect to not get the best car ever. This is true for all new cheap cars, no matter the brand or country of origin. The Trouble with owning a Kia is: Everything that isn´t considered regular maintenance (filters, brakes, timing belt etc.) is insanely expensive when you buy the parts from Kia and some parts aren´t even widely avaiable and / or cheaper on the aftermarket (german situation, may be different in the US). The ultimate dealbreaker however is how they handle warranty. Even on cars where every service was done at a Kia Dealer and well in time it isn´t uncommon that you wait around 1 year before they even bother to look at your warranty claim, even longer than that on car´s that had one or more services done at a non-Kia dealer and if even one service wasn´t done in time you can kiss any hopes of a warranty claim working in your favour good bye. Again, this is the Kia germany situation and it may differ in the US.

Other than that: It depends on a) what you whant from a car and b) what you whant to pay and expect from all of it. No matter the brand and no matter if you buy used or new, you can always end up with a horrible car that barely works. Personaly I always buy used cars that are around 10-20 years old because I don´t care about the looks of a car what so ever. It can have scratches and dents as much and many as it whant´s as long as it was technicly well maintained by at least the last owner. For the same reason I don´t care how many Kilometers / Miles it already has behind it because on a well maintaned car that doesn´t really matter too much. And I even don´t care about optional extras and features. Yeah, sure, an A/C is nice to have, however I don´t need one.

I really don´t care about my daily drivers, I keep them running, everything that needs service, fixing or replacing get´s done as soon as I notice a problem or when the regular service is needed (being able to do this myself helps a lot though) and when someone bumps into my car on a parking lot I don´t care too much, when I have a bad day I ask them to give me money for a can of spraypaint, but most of the time I don´t care enough for that.

If you are a person that cares a bit more about how a car looks and what features it has buying new might be the much better option for you. And like I said: Unless a ton of people advice you to not buy a certain model I wouldn´t care too much about the brand and model, just get whatever you like and can afford, if you buy used you should know a bit about common issues a car might have at a certain age / mileage.

Sabkahn 3

Postby deltax5 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Meh maybe ill get a toyata nassan or something with the extra money ill save put some expensive thrid party parts when need replacing.. Hyndai am looking at brand new maybe. Sure ill prob pay 5k more then a used car but it's new and Ill be the first driver plus warranty. So hard to decide.

PS2 FMB 1TB sata mod
deltax5 3

Postby scorpNZ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:41 pm

When buying any vehicle look for the ones that have a higher resale value & are most popular.As quite a few cars drop in value like a stone.An example would be a 2004 mitsi ute vs the same for a toyota with comparable mileage.The mitsi is $8000 the toyota $16000.even the junker (older) toyota utes have decent resale price on them compared to others over here.I'd look at a vehicle with no more than 130,000km's on the clock.Another thing you'll need to look out for is does it have a regular service history,ex lease are a pretty good bet especially if owned by a corp or business & not so much ex hire.A pre vehicle buy inspection is another option to look at if your not familiar with vehicles,it does have a cost ; however it can save a whole lott'a money if you mistakenly buy a lemon.Buying brand new ? i'd get one with a bit of mileage on it,just so to hopefully have the bugs worked out.The rest above have good pints & it would pay to look at other posts from vehicle reviewers as well.

scorpNZ 5

Postby MisterXiado » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:33 am

I always seek vehicles that are dirt common, and lack certain computer functions. My vehicle is a tool, and it should be less advanced than my Game Boy Advance. Alas, that cannot always be the case, as you can't really swap out a rusted frame on a care so easily as you can a driveshaft, brake clamps, or even body panels. Eventually, everyone's going to have to have a plastic POS, unless they're skilled at milling, welding, and metalwork.

The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
MisterXiado 3

Postby scorpNZ » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:18 am

Plastic dashes,bumpers & vinal/plastic door panels have been used in cars for years.In the last 30 years its really gone overboard with the plastic crap.Then there's all the bloody electronics.Hell ! people these days are to dam lazy to wind a window down to adjust the door mirror instead they need it motorised even tho they are sitting next to it,well on the drivers side anyway..lol..

scorpNZ 5

Postby Greys0n » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Sure it's better to have a new car but if you can't afford then buy a used car. I only advice to have an inspection before buying. For instance in Auckland here we have VINZ service. I used it when I bought my BMW 5 (2014).

Greys0n 2

Return to Cars