Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

History of TheIsoZone ?

History of TheIsoZone ?

Postby rodion » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm

I'm new here, only joined back in 2016, so I was curious when did this site first start and what was it about ? What were some members you remember, what big changes were over the years to the site itself, etc... So, if you got some time, old timers let your nostalgia loose and write some interesting history of this site :D

rodion 5

Re: History of TheIsoZone ?

Postby Biggsy666 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:24 pm

Been here just over 4 years. I came looking for DC stuff and never left, I remember members that have gone, some throwing toys outa the pram and deleting all their posts and uploads etc. I think the ones i remember most were:

VGA
Lightcycle
Timekiller

This led to the inability to edit a post once it had been on site for awhile. The next big change was the DMCA forcing a lot of games to be removed.

There was also the turbulant period i like to think of as the great TIZ purge. Also the first emergence of Pink names which didn't go down well with some.

Theres some great members who only post rarely nowadays and i have not seen Atreyu post anything in a long time, he was very active with the DC stuff when i joined.

Would love to see more posts from the oldtimers who still lurk, some had a great sense of humour (if a bit dark).

Last edited by Biggsy666 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My Custom Projects Click Here
Biggsy666 13

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby ChrisderWahre » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 pm

lol yeah i would also love to know more about the history tho, i joined in august 2017 and was visiting the site alot again lately ^^

- ChrisderWahre 2018

Consoles:
Spoiler:
1 x XBox (500GB Harddrive, Samsung DVD, Aladdin XT Plus 2)
1 x XBox (Softmod, 8GB Harddrive, Samsung DVD)
1 x XBox (80 GB harddrive, Samsung DVD, 128mb Ram, bios flash)
2 x Softmodded Wii's (Red Original Case Wii, vWii menu(WiiU))
2 x PS's (Superslim PS3, Original PS2)

Social Media:
Spoiler:
Twitter: ChrisderWahre
Twitch: ChrisderWahre
YouTube: ChrisderWahre
Github: ChrisderWahre
ChrisderWahre 3

Custom Title: Chris The Reaaaalll one x)

Postby SyfyTeriyaki » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi, I was around when IsoZone originally came to be, well sort of, as it came to be what it is today.

Originally TheIsoZone was split into many different sites, DCisozone, PSisozone, PCisozone, and there were a few others.

around 2011 or 2012 is when they merged into 1 site, as you see now, TheIsoZone.

Its grown from there. There were good times, and there were bad times ("BazFan" ring a bell Zoners?). I honestly don't feel the same way about this place as I did when I found DCisoZone and when I became a part of the community when it first merged. The epicness that was watching Smashey upload 20+ PS2 games a day, he, damn near alone, filled the PS2 Games section. Having to watch Curbside ban trolls daily. Maybe its just not the same for me, but glad others are still findind this site useful. I still pop my head in just to find those gems i cant find elsewhere/

SyfyTeriyaki Newbie

Postby ZX81v2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:21 pm

Fek... I'd almost forgotten about BazFan lol - Oh the fun....

The whole of the net has changed, not just TiZ. Sites that used to have 1000's if hits a day, hardly get by.

At least we still alive n kicking with most of the game base still intact, minus the dreaded DMCA removals...

There is something new on the horizon. Slowly getting bigger all the time.....

ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby ZDozer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:03 pm

I'm quite the old customer myself. And yeah, I saw the site back when it was multiple sites.

ZDozer 4

Custom Title: The Real Mary Poppins?

Postby metroid » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:44 pm

Love the history as I've been lurking here for a while but only joined last moth :D

metroid 3

Custom Title: The last Metroid is in captivity.

Postby mistamontiel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:57 pm

Thank goodness it all merged into one, think I finally found here n pages would link to dcisozone

mistamontiel 6

Custom Title: ..!!

Postby CurbsidePharmacist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:33 am

Once upon a time in a country far far away, some (expletive) named Bazfan faked a brain tumor to steal from people on this site.. He then got doxxed and fucked right off lol.

I wasn't around for the very beginning but the past 7-8 years, from what I remember this place started as a project of JaMbo the heavenly father hallowed be thy name... setting up a private file server for him and some friends.

Then I guess it exploded into the (Zones)
After X number of years with like 5 different versions of the site up and running, the spam bots arrived... People running botnets of computer slaves used solely to post random scummy ads on your message boards. They pretty much destroyed the old sites with thousands of spam comments and advertisements for counterfeit Russian and China products. We were seeing 1,000+ posts a day by automated software due to the age and popularity of the site, I don't think JaMbo expected it to reach the levels it has.

MegaOmen
Bazfan
And others.....
We get the occasional crackpot or unruly person here on the boards but most of the time the site can regulate itself when it comes to other users by making reports and mods meeting up about how we should deal with a particular problem, however the last 4 years or so the entire warning/ban system pretty much boiled down to "if you're an asshole then you're going to have a bad time" and instant banning of people whos freshly made accounts are full of advertisements from some scummy looking site/bots.

Then there were some changes in staff, mods removed, new mods added, all mods removed then finally got the team we have now and its really really stable for most part things seem to be working fine.

We should get JaMbo to pop in and make a thread on the sites history from the start till today and what he's got planned for the future.
Things are being talked about to make a really awesome change for the site soon.

Free memory card exploit service PS2/Xbox U.S. Only

Simple questions answered here
If you need to ask a question search the forums first here

Read the rules.
Theisozone Upload Rules

Follow me on Twitter!! https://twitter.com/CurbsideRX
CurbsidePharmacist 13

Custom Title: Co-Founder of RetroZone.co

Postby pirate_tar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:52 am

PCisozone, yea I was a member, but when a computer of mine crashed I lost my password. I loved the site, and was sad to see it go.......but now we have this......it's good! 8-)

pirate_tar 6

Postby scorpNZ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:49 am

Wondered what happened to the other zone sites.
Seems i've been here since 2012 & quite a few of others in here as well,must've been a good year.
Became more active here when the afterdawn xbox forum started to die off.Still visit AD now & again to send members here if there is an xbox issue as well as the odd member at realmods & vice versa if someone here has a 360 issue.
Seems odd that those searching for old xbox fixes don't find this site on their own as it's the only og xbox site i know of that's active,so i'm not sure what that's about.
Can't wait to still be here for twenty years as a member.That'd make me a sensei in the meantime i'll settle for a lowly first dan blackbelt

scorpNZ 6

Postby Zerohour2k12 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:14 am

loved this site back when it was PCisozone.... wish I joined sooner..... :D

My Uploads
Now Playing
Bully Scholarship Edition
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Fatal Frame III - The Tormented
Blood Will Tell
SSX Tricky
Star Wars - Republic Commando
No One Lives Forever GOTY
Soul Calibur - Broken Destiny
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Zwei - The Arges Adventure
Burnout Paradise - The Ultimate Box
Lord of Arcana
Darksiders - Wrath of War
Zerohour2k12 8

Custom Title: LeftyGuyGamerDude :)

Postby sasapinjic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:14 am

I miss old chat , it was so active then,there were lots of nuts people on it so it was alwais fun . I used to have "Nelson: HA HA" in signature just so i can post it any time in chat .

Some nuts things i remember :

@Jeshua Christ guy , religius nut that created his own OS, we had lot of fun reading his nonsense ,
Moderators used to have competition who will bann smartassses faster ,
@AMD655, guy who get nearly fucked by his girl and her mother and police was involed to ,
@comradesnarky get mad at me becouse i compared moderators with Hulks ,
@GoldenAxeWarrior gets pissed at me becouse i said i never pay for any game ,
@Jebbreh make hilarius "The ISO zone" short demo game with couple of main members as main heroes having comments in their style (i still have her lol) ,
@Urkman1 posted spiderman gifs in chat all day long ,and without spoilers ,
@LeBord16 told as how she chased cheating boyfriend of her best friend with her car as punishment , we were daying from laugh in chat as she told as that,
@Nirone imagined new forum game every day , we played lot of board game on line to ,
@penguirony01 gets wrongfully banned for a day , and after that he get pissed all the time over anything ,
Poor @Vamsee manage to collect 42 facepalms from members ("what is answering mashine/secretary?" anyone),
@iamnobody purposly get -600 rep without been banned ,
@jedy knight become "homless" , crys for money from members and then purchase brand new latest generation console 2 weeks later ,
Bosses makes anarchy on site and says all is alowed to flush out rats ,
@jedy knight swallow it , and make "me for moderator post" on which he recives 3 pages of "kek" answers ,
@Amiga1200 gets banned from its main account ,make another , @a1200 account and even on that one he manage to get 1000 post very fast,
I manage to fool members of site with my "Civilization 3 for PS2 request" on aprils fool day .

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby CurbsidePharmacist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 am

Vevil

Cannot for get that guy, I think I found out who he is using what information I have on site for him.
It was some pretty sad shit.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=48390

Free memory card exploit service PS2/Xbox U.S. Only

Simple questions answered here
If you need to ask a question search the forums first here

Read the rules.
Theisozone Upload Rules

Follow me on Twitter!! https://twitter.com/CurbsideRX
CurbsidePharmacist 13

Custom Title: Co-Founder of RetroZone.co

Postby ALexRex » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:13 pm

SyfyTeriyaki wrote:...around 2011 or 2012 is when they merged into 1 site, as you see now, TheIsoZone...

I joined September 2012, and I'm not sure if by that time the Sites have merged or not, but I definitely do remember there being seperate websites.. So, maybe I was a lurker before I finally joined :P

My UPLOADS [mostly PC Games]
http://www.theisozone.com/user-uploads/ALexRex/
Click on me for Cuteness :
Spoiler:
ALexRex 5

Location: Born and Raised in Germany... now returned to my Family-roots in Portugal

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 am

I remember when i joined. this was basically the best retro forum on the net back then. lots of helpful people. unfortunately most left in one way or another :(. we still have some of them though,and some new great guys too :).

Old names that dont post anymore that i wont forget:
-Atreyu (best Dreamcast guy ever. hope he is ok)
-Light Cycle (best old gamer ever)
-VGA (helped me a lot in setting up my xbox. his "installation guide" was great)
-gamefreaktothemax (a wonderful guy in every meaning of the word. made lots of great gaming purchases from him and he was always incredibly helpful and accommodating)
-time killer (was quite helpful. sucks how he quit)
-Nirone (did tons of awesome forum games)

FFTHEWINNER 9

Return to General Chat