Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Found a Xplorer FX, what can I do with it?

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

Found a Xplorer FX, what can I do with it?

Postby zxcvbnm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi guys, long time since I've been here!

So recently I came across an Xplorer FX cheat card for the PS1 that I bought from a second hand place (looks just like this: https://a1.amlimg.com/OGM5ZmQ4MzE2ZmJlMGU3MzEwY2ZkY2JlZGM0MWM5NTNDoG-KNdr4iqkgcj6ztiWOaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNWU2NDBhNGQ2NjAwZGY5Y2UwNDg1MWE1Y2I0YzkxZmMyNDAxZDg3YjBkYzhhN2I2ZmE5MWU4YzEzM2QwNGNkNi5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg ). I plugged it into the parallel port and lets me use cheats for many games.

The thing is there's pretty little information on the internet about this device. Is anyone aware of Xplorer FX? And is there perhaps a way to add cheats to it?

ImageImage
zxcvbnm 4

Re: Found a Xplorer FX, what can I do with it?

Postby Berzerk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Looks like a knock off of the old PS1 gameshark if your PS1 has the expansion port on the back the newer models did away with the expansion slot you should be able to plug it into the expansion port and enter gameshark codes on it. I purchased one way back in the day off eBay when there was a ton of knock offs of them.

Berzerk 6

Custom Title: Go home and play with your Amiibos

Postby ZX81v2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 pm

I have a clone of one of these too.

ZX81v2 13

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby Berzerk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:49 pm

The other slot may be for a cable you can attach and plug into a computer probably has some memory and can store codes. Everything was made simple when ActionReply and GameShark came out with discs that were preloaded with every known code.

Berzerk 6

Custom Title: Go home and play with your Amiibos

Postby Gamerone » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Found this on GitHub
It says using this setup it's possible to run custom code on the console and write emulator tests, homebrew, dumping memory cards etc.
link
https://github.com/simias/rustation/wik ... r-FX-setup

I'M ONE WHO LIKES TO PLAY GAMES™
MY UPLOADS

SPY VS SPY
Gamerone 5

Postby kaos_engr » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:47 am

Check the downloads section here at TiZ:

PS1 Explorer Cheat Cartridge Files

kaos_engr 7

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:39 am

[quote=
The thing is there's pretty little information on the internet about this device. Is anyone aware of Xplorer FX? And is there perhaps a way to add cheats to it?[/quote]

Have you tried adding and saving new codes with the UI and controller? Most of them you cannot, the interfaces suck, there are none that have "all" codes you often must look up the codes on the net and they can be hard to find...

See back in the day what you did was hook up your old ass pc via parallel port to the cheat device and it would update its limited codes that way, the whole thing was stupid.

What you need is an interface where you can add and save new codes directly from the PS1 and this can be accomplished with Caetla modded and UniRom. Reflash the whole cheat cartridge. Problem is its too difficult for the average user but if you want to send it to me maybe I could do it for you.

you might be able to sell that thing on eBay for a good amount as they are quite rare

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby Biggsy666 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:50 am

WHat you using for a search engine? Marmite :lol:

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My Custom Projects Click Here
Biggsy666 13

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby stillcool » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:47 am

It's a fabulous piece of kit if used right, follow the videos and guides above to get the best out of it.

The guy who let me upload those files to TIZ 3 years ago also has this on his page (worth keeping) ..

http://www.murraymoffatt.com/playstation-xplorer.html

The 'Anatomy of an Xplorer Cheat' section is pretty deep but if you can work it all out you can make your own unpublished codes for games, I was going to do it on a request basis for TIZ members but real life got in the way.

If you don't fancy the complications of rigging this up with a Parallel port and PC with Dos or DOSBox to do all the donkey work you can also get this, it's called a X-Assist and displays and manipulates the data from your code searches.

There's even one on fleabay and it's the cheapest I've seen in a while (normally £30+)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PS1-PSX-XPLO ... SwNJNbLPKj

Some Of My Gear & How They Connect
Spoiler:
Dreamcast - VGA or S-Video
Gamecube - Chipped RGB Scart
SNES - RGB Scart
PS1 - Chipped SCPH-9002 - RGB Scart
PS2 - Chipped Silver Phat SCPH-50003 + 500GB HDD - PS2HDMI
PS2 - Aqua Phat SCPH-50003 + 1TB & SATA Adapter - Component
PS3 - Blue CECH-4003C Super Slim + 320GB HDDs - HDMI
PS3 - CECHG03 Phat + 500GB HDD - Component
Saturn - Chipped v1 - S-Video
Xbox - Chipped Crystal 1TB HDD - Component
Xbox - Chipped Black 500GB HDD - Component
Xbox 360 - Black Jasper - HDMI
Wii - Soft Modded - Component
Wii - Soft Modded - Wii2HDMI
Wii U - HDMI
stillcool 9

Postby ZX81v2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:55 am

there originally came a small spring with the cart. This keeps the tray open allowing you to swap disks as it holds the tray release

ZX81v2 13

Postby zxcvbnm » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, making more sense now. Am I able to use custom cheat codes with this device too? Like there's this racing game where someone input codes that let him/her play a computer/opponent's car. I heard about Gameshark but I've never had such thing before ever, so have no clue how they work.

ImageImage
zxcvbnm 4

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 am

-Do NOT use a connect a windows 95 pc or x-assist using stuff from 2 decades ago. You think the x-assist will be cheap? What possible reason do you need it when you can put in your codes with a PS1 controller?
-The spring is for the cheat CD's, which came along after the parallel port cheat devices. This is a parallel port device.

UNIROM CAETLA

flash the cart with UNIROM CAETLA v6

put switch in down position to boot into the cheat program CAETLA

put in any game or code you want
boots game backups

---------------------
I use breaker pro disc and I do not hotswap discs...
UNIROM CAETLA not unirom standalone
wrap a couple q-tip ends or something with tape to make a ball, and then tape the sensor down with the ball on top of sensor and tape over it
-may(?) interfere with mod chip. I might not do it if chipped

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby Biggsy666 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:09 am

Dildo_Schwaggins wrote:The spring is for the cheat CD's, which came along after the parallel port cheat devices. This is a parallel port device.

Odd, my parallel port cart came with a spring as did lots of the other parallel port devices, it enabled the devices to boot imports and backups.

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD

Biggsy666 13

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:42 am

Biggsy666 wrote:
Dildo_Schwaggins wrote:The spring is for the cheat CD's, which came along after the parallel port cheat devices. This is a parallel port device.

Odd, my parallel port cart came with a spring as did lots of the other parallel port devices, it enabled the devices to boot imports and backups.

I think I may have heard of that, I stand corrected sir.
How exactly did the spring allow that? You put it an original game and then how do you stop it spinning? From the cheat device? And then you swap it with backup or import?

I have like six different ones of these all flashed with UniRom. You see UniRom/ Caetla comes up immediately when you turn on the PS1 before even boot or anything else happens, so there would be no point for a spring. I think I had forgot that these stock ones the menu came up after the BIOS and bootsector had been read.

I suggest krHACKen's ULTIMATE_CHEAT_CD if you are interested to try them all it has every single PS1 cheat cd or cart on it. The OS / UI's for these things are so terrible I tried them all and was flabbergasted, in my mind I was thinking, "like who designed this a 5 year old" and "I couldn't design something worse and less intuitive if I tried" and like "who approved this", they are that bad. I was so happy when I wiped the cart and installed UniRom Caetla, just to be rid of those horrible interface...

also krHACKen from psxDev is the one who taught me everything, and no one on TIZ had even a clue about these devices, I made like 5 posts on TIZ about how to flash it a year ago, no one knew ANYTHING, and/or gave me the wrong info. So I am a little butt hurt about that. But then finally RingsOfSat had some actual real info, thanks to him I started to figure some things out, started using psxDev and messaging to krHACKen and figured it out after a LONG time. These devices are very obscure. Want to look up a manual for it online? its not there. Wondering what that switch on the side does? Its not on the internet. How to use it? No instructions anywhere

Ok gotta go, got a crap on deck that could choke a donkey

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby Biggsy666 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Dildo_Schwaggins wrote:How exactly did the spring allow that? You put it an original game and then how do you stop it spinning? From the cheat device? And then you swap it with backup or import?

The spring goes over the lid sensor keeping it pushed down when the lid is open. The carts stop the original so you can insert the backup. Then close the lid and press O (usually) and it will boot.

Mine are chipped so i don't bother with this and my ps1 carts are just sat boxed on my shelf. I even have a ps1 with the switch soldered permanently down but it also is just on a shelf gathering dust lol.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD

Biggsy666 13

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Yeah once I learned how to do the Unirom Caetla install I did like 4 gameshark 2.x carts.
And it works for every game except one, which is medievil which I made a tiny patch for that game and put on this site. No mod chip is necessary to play backups, if you do the install correctly, and Caetla is much better than any of the old cheat cartridges software. Most importantly there is no swapping required whatsoever. Its simple you put in your backup game and press R2. If you want to put in cheats you put the switch down, it will start to Caetla instead of UniRom. Put in your cheats, save and activate them, and start the game. No spring or soldering of the switch is necessary ever because Unirom Caetla applies the NoCash unlock hack.
I have a barely used PS1 7501 it works awesome. Looks just like yours except all gray pretty much.
But I hooked up my PS2 and now I dont want to go to the trouble of hooking up the PS1 also when I can just use Breaker Pro or PSXLAUNCHER to play a PS1 game with swap. Need to make a shelf or something.

Also have a gameshark pro 3.0 and a v1.92 as well.
I have made the Romfile Unirom IPL plugin which is the only way to play copy protected games such as legend of Dragoon with Unirom. It is on the psxDev site.
However you don't need any of that with a modchip.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=73648
If you go down on that post you will see I am using the unlimited rocket launcher obtained by using specialized (custom inputted) cheats to bypass most the major door locks in the game. At that time I recommended xploder cd9000 v4 and I still think that is the best non-caetla one (and it has the most built in cheats), but since that time I have found caetla slightly easier to use but mainly there is no swap needed.

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby zxcvbnm » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Today I used cheats on Metal Gear Solid and while they worked, the game itself plays very weirdly unstable and skippy. It plays perfectly without any cheats.

ImageImage
zxcvbnm 4

Postby ZX81v2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Remember cheat devices work by modifying active memory.
Depending on how talented the original discoverer of the cheats was depends if he found a clean method of changing the RIGHT Values.... Cheats can be 50/50 because of this.

Also the Region of the game can effect the codes from working, different builds of same game (v1.01/1.02...)
Some data will be different in memory and the edited data don't match the data in memory at the same address, thus causing "issues" even crashes...

I used to mess with MAME Cheat finding using similar methods, same results, new version, cheat don't work...

ZX81v2 13

Postby CBThatGuy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:21 pm

I had a similar device back in '99. I believe mine was a Game Hunter. Worked great for cheats and loading backip games. There should be a way to add games and cheats to the device.

Atari 2600
NES, SNES (Everdrive), SupaBoy, Wii (softmod), WiiU
Sega Nomad, Genesis (Everdrive), Dreamcast
Playstation 1 (chipped), 2 (HDLoader), 3 & 4
Xbox (Xecuter 3), Xbox 360 (drive mod)
Game Boy Color, PSP (CFW), PSTV, & DS (Acekard2i), 3DS (modded)
Turbografx 16 (Everdrive)
CBThatGuy 5

Return to System Modding