Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

how do i get the right pot tweak number on ps1

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

how do i get the right pot tweak number on ps1

Postby kingfrog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:18 pm

i modded my ps1 but it only reads some burn disc not all how do i know what Pot Tweak to leave it on i dont want to fuck up my lazer HERE IS A VIDEO OF MY PROBLEM

Last edited by eugenerobinhood1 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube Link.
kingfrog 2

Re: how do i get the right pot tweak number on ps1

Postby pandabearwindtalker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:41 pm

This may help a bit, this is how I've adjusted them (while the drive is connected to the PS1) but someone else here with more experience might have a better guide.

EDIT: I should also say that there's usually a sweet spot where the drive will read burned discs AND retail discs, so it's helpful to try some discs you're sure are burned correctly as well as some working original discs. This video goes over the rough idea of what you're trying to figure out, since the actual numbers you're looking for will be a little different for each PS1 based on (I assume) wear and tear.

pandabearwindtalker 2

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:06 pm

First clean your laser lens gently using a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip.
If that does not help do the following:
Mark the pot with a fine tip sharpie at the 12'o clock position
find a tiny flat head screwdriver or something to turn the pot
turn the pot clockwise a maximum of 1/8 of a turn (maximum 1:30 o'clock)

you should not usually have to turn up the pot. turning up the pot some say, can shorten the laser life, since there is more power going thru it. but it is better than a non working ps1. sometimes, it needs a bit more power to read burned cd's. make sure you mark the pot as I said so you know how far you have turned it, I would not turn it up more than 1/8 ever.

I tried to measure my ps2 pots with a multimeter did not work reliably, perhaps it will work on ps1... but what is better is to buy one that has never been opened because they are always set correctly from the factory.

Dildo_Schwaggins 4

Postby kingfrog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:30 am

thanks guys

kingfrog 2

Postby Biggsy666 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 am

Always use a multimeter, its a pet hate of mine to here people saying mark it with a pen. Use a multimeter and get it right instead of guessing or theres a chance of fragging the whole unit. You can pick up a cheap new multimeter on Ebay for pennies.

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My Custom Projects Click Here
Biggsy666 13

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby sasapinjic » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:38 am

HOW you did you mod it ( i cant see your video for some reason ) , perhaps that mod dont support imports of games from other regions ?

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 pm

The point of marking it with a permanent pen is simply to see how much you have turned it. A good idea in all situations.

As I said, I was unable to get an accurate reading on my ps2 pots. Ps1 pots are probably easier to read, but I have never done it. I recently got a ps1, and had to turn the pot up 1/8th to read burned games, and it is working great now.

As I also said, if the pot has never been turned before (playstation never been opened before) you will not need ohm-meter, just turn it up a tiny bit and then try it again. But you better mark it with a permanent pen first.

Also, I have turned up my ps2 pots too high. The ps2 will read discs fine for about 20 minutes but then fail completely, and it won't read anything until you turn the ps2 off for a while.

Dildo_Schwaggins 4

Postby Biggsy666 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:16 am

Dildo_Schwaggins wrote:The point of marking it with a permanent pen is simply to see how much you have turned it. A good idea in all situations.

As I said, I was unable to get an accurate reading on my ps2 pots. Ps1 pots are probably easier to read, but I have never done it. I recently got a ps1, and had to turn the pot up 1/8th to read burned games, and it is working great now.

As I also said, if the pot has never been turned before (playstation never been opened before) you will not need ohm-meter, just turn it up a tiny bit and then try it again. But you better mark it with a permanent pen first.

Also, I have turned up my ps2 pots too high. The ps2 will read discs fine for about 20 minutes but then fail completely, and it won't read anything until you turn the ps2 off for a while.

Nah sorry, always use a multimeter. Mark it with a pen as well by all means but use a multimeter, why would you not use one just to be absolutely sure. Pen gets rubbed off, screws get turned to far and end up 360 degrees out blah blah i've seen it in forums with pot tweaks so often that i just cant ever envisage not saying use one. Glad you got yours going though dude, congrats.

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My Custom Projects Click Here
Biggsy666 13

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby pandabearwindtalker » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:18 am

Biggsy666 wrote:Nah sorry, always use a multimeter. Mark it with a pen as well by all means but use a multimeter, why would you not use one just to be absolutely sure. Pen gets rubbed off, screws get turned to far and end up 360 degrees out blah blah i've seen it in forums with pot tweaks so often that i just cant ever envisage not saying use one. Glad you got yours going though dude, congrats.

This, in his video he showed he already has a multimeter so I just posted those videos to demonstrate where to read the correct value, I'm crap at describing it. I used to adjust without measuring and while it might work for a time it's frustratingly easy to overcompensate.

pandabearwindtalker 2

Return to System Modding