Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Having an issue with Breaker pro... ps2 tech advice needed

If you're having hardware, software or emulation issues with your PlayStation, ask our experts here!

Having an issue with Breaker pro... ps2 tech advice needed

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:27 am

Recently I replaced my laser, well it works great for the most part. DVD is working great, ran a ps2 CD game (Maximo) worked great. However I was getting the itch to play some Resident Evil 1, one of the best frikkin games ever.

So I have flip top lid and use Breaker Pro for ps1 games, and it has always worked before fine, although I did not use it much at all. But now I am having this issue. I boot up breaker pro no problem and then swap the disc but then when I press button to boot, it freezes and won't load and I will explain why. With the flip top open I can observe and hear the laser has some type of read error within the first second of spin up. then it will jam itself toward the inner spindle about 5 times before giving up.

I ordered a new spindle but let me explain some things. The resident evil backup cd seems to spin at same speed as breaker pro, and I'm not sure why it would not boot. It worked before, and even a couple times after i replaced the laser. My only explanation is that the cd is not spinning fast enough for that split second after I press the button to load it.

Out of curiosity or something I booted the ps2 with lid open and set the disc speed to "fast" and texture smoothing to on as well, and to my surprise it worked, not only did it work but it worked great and I played the game for hours. Unfortunately every time I turn off my ps2 it will revert back to the normal disc speed and I will have to change it every time with the triangle button.

My first question is do you think the spindle replacement will help? My second question is, is there no way to set the disc speed to fast, no third party tool or something, to make it boot with fast ps1 disc speed every time?

Also I noticed a few things while playing the game... I occasionally heard a really high pitched beep i suppose you could call it, when loading from disc I suppose that is a laser read error??? but the disc ran fine... also I noticed the texture smoothing made the game look really good, on a 20" crt just FYI for other RE1 fans

Dildo_Schwaggins Newbie

Re: Having an issue with Breaker pro... ps2 tech advice need

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:09 am

REALLY need help with this. Now it has scratched and ruined 3 discs. Am about to break the ps2 in half. Setting the cd speed to fast is not working now either.

It is the laser lens moving up and scratching the ps1 cd's, in cylindrical fashion, permanently ruined. I got spyro to boot using the fast setting but then the music wouldn't play. disc kept having error and stopping. retried it on normal speed and it scrached it beyond repair.

Should I turn up the POT on the CD? I noticed the laser light is not even close to as bright, and what the hell is that beeping noise it makes. There is nothing on the internet to help

Dildo_Schwaggins Newbie

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 am

Going to replace the spindle today, took a month to arrive from china, will report back

I think what is scratching the disc is the hot glue used to the right of the laser I have the wide laser spu3170 and the 70012

I have had this ps2 since 2002 when I bought it for $299 so I don't want to give up on it.. it has worked forever

I used PSXLAUNCHER, awesome program, but results were the same... tries to read inner circle of disc and eventually scratches it, (ps1 backup games only)

Dildo_Schwaggins Newbie

Postby sasapinjic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Hello, i will try to help you as much i know, since you left out some information, like what exact model of PS2 you have, fat or slim, etc.
First, You seem to use some version of Swap trick, i dont know much of that, couse Swap trick wear down your laser much faster than other mods of playing backups, so i use it only for testing purpose. Get your self either mod chip or FMCB memory card, you will be much happier.
Second, most lasers comig from China arives with some kind of protections on lasers, you have to remove them before instaling it.
Third, about scraching your discs, that is probably laser sending to much power and damaging discs, for detail info check disscussions on PS2 boobytraped BIOS (mechacon), first in tread in my signature (burning ps1/ps2 games for beginners), and second link is in my second post on that same disscusion, you may recognize your case here to.
Fourth, laser tweak pot increase power to laser to read better, but if laser is already bad, it will just accelerate its death.
And finally, all equipment dies sometimes, if it have to much problems to fix them all, time to say goodbay, i had to say goodbay to couple of my ps1/ps2 as well, but replacement ones are easy to find for 20 $ or so.

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(LightningBoltScumbag)

Return to Troubleshooting