Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Not-So-Easy Sega Genesis Model 2 S-Video Mod

Postby Majestic_Lizard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Note: this guide refers only to Model 2 Genesis with the CXA1145M encoder. If you have a model 2 with the CXA1645M encoder, you will want to follow the guide for the Genesis model 3 instead: http://www.theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22871

As I was successfully able to upgrade my Genesis 3 (which cost me all of 8 dollars) with S-Video, I felt confident enough to modify my Genesis Model 2, which is compatible with the Sega CD (unlike the Genny 3). This guide should also work with the Genesis Model 1, however I haven't performed this mod on a model 1 yet, so there may be idiosyncrasies I am not aware of. You can find many guides for this on the internet, but this one should be an easier one as it straight up shows you exactly what you need in simple words with an obvious illustration showing resistors, capacitors, etc and how they are physically connected.

This was not nearly as easy as the Genny 3 with the CXA1645M. Although I was able to get the same quality picture, it required far more work I also had to make another connection on the IC for the +5 volt. I also had to experiment with the values of the resistor on the Chroma line.

Again the most difficult part was soldering onto the tiny encoder IC. The way I dealt with this was to carefully tin the solder on the exposed wire so that it was still tiny and straight, yet coated with solder. Then I simply held the exposed wire (already coated with solder) on top of the IC leg and simply touched it with my clean and pre-heated 30 watt soldering iron.

I found that the S-Video mod works, but you have to use a resistor of at least 130 ohms to diminish the presence of vertical bars. The problem with that is this will cause Master System games to not work with S-Video. If you wanted to, you could make a switch to go between 68 and 130 ohms on the Chroma, or you could install a resistance potentiometer. For me this was not worth it. For the record, I was able to get a superior picture out of this than I was able to get out of the Genesis 3.

The S-Video does not interfere with the composite ports (even the original one), so you can still play Master System games via composite or RF.

Another problem with this mod is that it requires more wires, which makes it more difficult to fit all of the wires in the console. Unlike the CXA1645M mod, you now need an additional wire going to your transistor for +5 volts. The way that you have 3 different wires connected to the transistor is a bit awkward in such a small space.

Special thinks to:
Ace from Sega 16
Apollo Boy from Sega 16 (told me how to get my +5 volt)
Drakon from Sega 16

Last edited by Majestic_Lizard on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Majestic_Lizard 13

Custom Title: I can squirt blood from my eyes at will.

Re: Not So Easy Sega Genesis Model 2 S-Video Mod

Postby JBett25 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 am

You are the bomb at these mods Majestic! I will never attempt them myself for various reasons but I love seeing what you are doing and what can be done with them. A+ as always!

+10

Trades/Sales/Buys
Bought PSX Lot from DCDannyDoom23. :mrgreen:
Bought 3 N64 Games from catch_2030. :mrgreen:

My Collection
JBett25 6

Custom Title: The Don

Re: Not So Easy Sega Genesis Model 2 S-Video Mod

Postby Majestic_Lizard » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 am

JBett25 wrote:You are the bomb at these mods Majestic! I will never attempt them myself for various reasons but I love seeing what you are doing and what can be done with them. A+ as always!

+10

I'll be trying it with a model 1 tonight.

Majestic_Lizard 13

Re: Not-So-Easy Sega Genesis Model 2 S-Video Mod

Postby JBett25 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:03 am

Awesome. I may make some mods to the dreamcast I bought from my neighbor at some point but it will mostly be cosmetic modifications. I may have to look into more of these internal modifications though. Unfortunately I do not have a steady enough hand to do precision soldering or soldering in general but my neighbor does and I believe he has the tools as well. Maybe do the LAN mod or something on dreamcast that I saw something about a while back.

Trades/Sales/Buys

My Collection
JBett25 6

Postby a1200 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 am

^^ i love these threads!
why we don't see more of these from other users is BEYOND my capacity of understanding!
that's some good f*cking dinner mrs griffin! nice one! :spliff:
:boner:
would + but the buttons are hidden from me on this thread too...:sad:

ImageImageImage
dc HKT-3020 r.0 LTD EDIT, atreyu187 speud 3D bios vmu spoof. ps2 SCPH-30003 R jinn fmcb v1.8c, vash32 fhdb a4. ps3 chunky PS3ITA v3.55. xbx SPPV sid v5.12 unleashx. wii bannerbomb v4.2 HBC, wode optical spoof. psp 1000 5.50 GEN-D3. nds NTR-001, M3DSreal, TTDS, R4 mcsd spoof. gba-sp AGS-001, gba AGB-001, supercard sd spoof. smd 1601-05. n64 NUS-001-UKV-1, 4m expanded (still waiting for my ED). 360j RGH coolrunner (FSD vx.x? i'm rotting away here..brb!)
a1200 6

Custom Title: A dead empty shell, will find resolution elsewhere

Postby JBett25 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:38 am

@ a1200, it was weird, they were for me before I posted but then I did and boom they were there. Maybe they just didn't load for me. BUT I GOT YOUR BACK! I'll give him 10 for ya! :lol:

Trades/Sales/Buys

My Collection
JBett25 6

Postby a1200 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:47 am

^^ :spliff:
thanks dude...i owe you one...
:cheers: :bong:

ImageImageImage
dc HKT-3020 r.0 LTD EDIT, atreyu187 speud 3D bios vmu spoof. ps2 SCPH-30003 R jinn fmcb v1.8c, vash32 fhdb a4. ps3 chunky PS3ITA v3.55. xbx SPPV sid v5.12 unleashx. wii bannerbomb v4.2 HBC, wode optical spoof. psp 1000 5.50 GEN-D3. nds NTR-001, M3DSreal, TTDS, R4 mcsd spoof. gba-sp AGS-001, gba AGB-001, supercard sd spoof. smd 1601-05. n64 NUS-001-UKV-1, 4m expanded (still waiting for my ED). 360j RGH coolrunner (FSD vx.x? i'm rotting away here..brb!)
a1200 6

Custom Title: A dead empty shell, will find resolution elsewhere

Postby vga » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:38 am

I want SVideo on my Atari! :lol:

I'd settle for SVideo on my NES....

What's next? :)

vga 13

Custom Title: The (V)ideo (G)ame (A)uthority

Postby Majestic_Lizard » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:40 am

Confirmed working on Model 1 (non-TMSS). So I've now S-Video modded a Model 1, Model 2, and Model 3.

The only thing about the version I've done here is there is a trade off. If you wan to lose the jailbars, you also lose Master System compatibility (they'll play, but in black and white). However, there is a fix. You can make a switch to to swich between 68 ohms on the Chroma for the SMS and 220 ohms on the Chroma for Genesis.

I believe Drakon on Sega 16 has an S-Video mod for the NES.

Majestic_Lizard 13

Postby JBett25 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:39 am

Majestic_Lizard wrote:Confirmed working on Model 1 (non-TMSS). So I've now S-Video modded a Model 1, Model 2, and Model 3.

The only thing about the version I've done here is there is a trade off. If you wan to lose the jailbars, you also lose Master System compatibility (they'll play, but in black and white). However, there is a fix. You can make a switch to to swich between 68 ohms on the Chroma for the SMS and 220 ohms on the Chroma for Genesis.

I believe Drakon on Sega 16 has an S-Video mod for the NES.

Throwing out the ohms! Flashback to high school! :lol: That is pretty freaking sweet. I neither have a genesis nor an s-video input on my hdtv (yeah, try an' figure that one out :lol: ) but nonetheless it still is awesome and goes to show, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, MOD IT! :mrgreen:

Trades/Sales/Buys

My Collection
JBett25 6

Postby vga » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Suggestion / Idea......

You should build these kits, and sell them here.
Wire up all of the resistors and such already wired up. Each wire that the user has to solder to the console should have a different color.

This would be SUPER easy and in-expensive to do. The colored wire can be gotten at ANY radio shack super cheap.

This would make the installation SUPER easy for other users, and I would bet that you could double / triple your investment in parts to cover your labor and to make a little cash.

I know I would pay for one. :)

Reading those diagrams is sooooooooo foreign to me.
It's so much easier when someone translates the diagram into...
Red Wire goes here, Blue Wire goes here, Black wire goes here, etc.

It would require that you provide good documented instructions with detailed photos, but you have pretty much done that here already.

I say we do it!...... I mean I say you do it. :lol:

vga 13

Postby JBett25 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:52 pm

@ VGA, hey! That's a pretty good idea! And you are right, this is rather intimidating to amateurs in the field of internal modifications, I'll risk cosmetic damage cause that can be usually easily fixed depending on what it is, internal damage not so much so I definitely think that is a potential market, but I would suggest do it more on the line of placing an order that way you only have to do the work on an item you know is going to be sold.

Trades/Sales/Buys

My Collection
JBett25 6

Postby vga » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Yeah...... I hear you there.....
But he mentioned in one other thread, that the mod cost him like $8 to do.
for a $20 investment, he could buy the parts to build 2 kits.

Sell em for $30 a pop, and by selling just 1, you've made your money back and then some.
For me, I'd personally take the risk of having them stocked, if it was only going to cost me $20 in the long run.

A more risky venture would be to sell the consoles pre-modded.
You could actually mark that up more as it's ALREADY installed and verified working.
With the kits, you have to solder it in yoruself.

For the people with no soldering skills, irons, etc, it's worth it form them to pay more for a console that's already modded. Again.... you would have the investment of the console there as well, but I would think you could have one bought and modded for around $40.00

To be sold for $75 - $80 modded. not to bad for a few hours work.

:)

And I think they would sell. RCA output sucks!

vga 13

Postby JBett25 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Good point there or even offer a service for them to ship their console to you as well and put that price somewhere in the middle. :lol: Hey, maybe we should go into business together! :lol: Only kidding but this definitely is a good idea.

Trades/Sales/Buys

My Collection
JBett25 6

Postby vga » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:29 pm

Yeah...... console shipping is always thought of, but it only works on New Gen systems.
If the retail value of the console itself is under $30, it's not worth shipping.

$15 to ship to him to mod, $15 to ship back = $30.
The shipping costs will actually cost you more, then him buying a console and modding it, and then shipping it.

I deal with this and PlayStation consoles all the time. It is sooooooo not worth you shipping your console to someone to have it modded.

vga 13

Postby Majestic_Lizard » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 pm

vga wrote:Yeah...... I hear you there.....
But he mentioned in one other thread, that the mod cost him like $8 to do.

No, the console was 8 dollars (Genesis 3, not Genesis 2). The mod was free as I pulled the parts out of a television set someone threw away. I actually still have some good parts from that TV that I haven't used. Two sets of RCA jacks. RGB jacks. However, I've now used both of the S-Video ports. I think a mouse port could be turned into an S-Video jack. I'll have to find an old motherboard to test that. I'm also now all out of 220 uf capacitors.

However, for the model 2, I actually had to buy the resistors. Like a buck for a pack of five a piece or something. I also need to change my guide to say 33 ohms on the Luma, not 27.

Oh, and I got the transistor for one of my Genesis mods from a USB 1.0 card!!!

Last edited by Majestic_Lizard on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majestic_Lizard 13

Postby vga » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 pm

LMAO......

Suggestion...... if you plan on making and selling kits, I'd just source the parts from the shack.
don't want to have to base your orders on how many spare TV's and usb cards you can find lying around.

:lol:

I think these mods are crazy cool.
Are you doing case mods too so the SVideo port looks like it came in the case originally, or are you just letting it dangle out the side of the console?

vga 13

Postby Majestic_Lizard » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:48 am

For whatever reason, the original image was taken down.

This OHM's values seem to very from console to console.

Majestic_Lizard 13

Return to Mega Drive / Genesis