Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

NTSC/PAL game both showing picture issues?

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

NTSC/PAL game both showing picture issues?

Postby donkey33 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:18 am

Hi all,

Hardmodded Xbox and having issues with one game in particular as I like to try and play all my games in NTSC (live in PAL country but want HD). The game is the NBA Inside Drive series (2002, 2003 and 2004).

I have all three in PAL and when I want to play them, need to switch the Xbox to PAL first and then back to NTSC. Was getting a bit annoying so I ordered the NTSC versions from ebay so I could rip them and wouldn't have to keep switching the system to PAL.

Can't seem to get them to work though. When I rip the NTSC version, even though the console is in NTSC mode, I'm still getting the same glitched PAL video issues (blurred scanlines, etc). Even when I just play via the NTSC disc, the same issue occurs. It's like the console only reads the game as PAL because it was only ever played in PAL.

Is it possible the Xbox leaves cached information somewhere and regardless that I'm using an NTSC version, is still treating it as PAL? I can't figure out why the NTSC version of the game is being treated like PAL. If I switch the console to PAL and play directly from the NTSC disc, it comes up in 480i and works fine but that's not right.

Any ideas?

donkey33 Newbie

Re: NTSC/PAL game both showing picture issues?

Postby kaos_engr » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:24 am

There could be data stored in the X, Y and Z cache drives. Clear them.

Also, the game save may be tied to the video mode (have no real idea if this could change things).

What version Xbox is it?

kaos_engr 7

Postby donkey33 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:34 am

Hmm, I can't remember exactly but I just recently installed a 2TB HDD and if memory serves, it was one of the good modchips.

On FTP, don't have any X, Y or Z drives. Just a Q drive. Deleted the cache from E and re-ripping the game now to see if that works. Can try the save game thing too after this.

I've read that Q drive might be the equivalent of X, Y and Z? Do I just delete everything in there or should I try and find the other drives and get rid of the cache in those? Q looks like XBMC files.

donkey33 Newbie

Postby donkey33 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:46 am

It's definitely reading old information from somewhere.

When I first ripped this, I renamed the PAL version and after a fresh rip right now, after deleting the E drive cache, the name in my games list is showing that old renamed xbe so it must be using old information. With a fresh rip, I would have thought that the name would be the default name.

Need to figure out how to clear out that old information. When a game is renamed, is that re-writing the xbe that is then stored in cache somewhere?

EDIT: Bit weird also but just realised if I click enough buttons to get through to an actual game, it works. So mixed, glitchy visuals but once I get to a game, it clears up then I can go to the menu like normal and it's working fine. I'd expect an NTSC game on a console set to NTSC to show the loading screens and menus first up though. With the PAL version, it's just glitchy all the way through.

donkey33 Newbie

Postby kaos_engr » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:25 am

donkey33 wrote:Hmm, I can't remember exactly but I just recently installed a 2TB HDD and if memory serves, it was one of the good modchips.

On FTP, don't have any X, Y or Z drives. Just a Q drive. Deleted the cache from E and re-ripping the game now to see if that works. Can try the save game thing too after this.

I've read that Q drive might be the equivalent of X, Y and Z? Do I just delete everything in there or should I try and find the other drives and get rid of the cache in those? Q looks like XBMC files.

Q drive is a virtual drive whose root is set to XBMC's installed directory.

By default, FTP access X, Y and Z are not enabled in XBMC4Xbox.

Use UnleashX to gain access or edit XBMC's configuration file to allow access to them.

From xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wikiTroubleshooting:

Why can't I access X, Y or Z partition using eg. My Files or by FTP?
Early on a decision was made to make it a little 'harder' for new unknowing users to access X, Y or Z due to the fact that these are "cache partitions" and no data put there stays there. You can make them a source yourself in Filemanager or edit Filezilla Server.xml and add these.

kaos_engr 7

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:48 pm

You probably won't want to do this but try deleting the existing game saves ie. the game's UDATA/TDATA folders. Back them up first of course.

If you're using a v1.6 console there's also strong evidence from what you've described that these are examples of games which will not display in 480p unless you use the appropriate launcher.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=64622

Rocky5's v1.6 480p launcher script for XBMC I'm pretty sure doesn't include those games but that is because, if it is this problem, until now nobody has reported it.

If you are using a v1.6 then try one of the launchers manually; obviously the console must be set to NTSC and 480p selected. The simplest solution is just to install an EvoX dash as an app. I'm not sure if it matters what version of EvoX is used but boot it and launch the game for there and see if it displays in 480p.

As that thread indicates there are some games that won't display in 480p on a v1.6 whichever of the three or four launchers known to work for the purpose are used.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby donkey33 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:36 pm

Cheers, will check this in the morning. Too late now but pretty sure mine is v1.6

donkey33 Newbie

Return to Troubleshooting