Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

2TB HDD XBOX Cannot play Games after certain space used up

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

2TB HDD XBOX Cannot play Games after certain space used up

Postby joewatiii » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 am

I am not new to softmodding Xboxes but this is the first time I have used a 2TB HDD. Softmodded using Krazies 007 exploit and then installed HeXEn disc just for the utilities. I installed the .67 version and formatted my drive using XBPartitioner 1.3 into an F & G with 927mb formatted into 64kb clusters. Everything works fine until I put a bunch of games or what not on the harddrive then the further games I put onto it won't run, they just reset to the UnleashX screen. Also their icons won't show up in the dash. I have made sure to not put more than 240 folders into a single folder, I have tried the HDD in a different Xbox, I have wiped it and installed clean C and E files multiple times. Not sure what the hell is going on! I know the HDD is good, but, could it have some sort of incompatability issue with the Xbox? It is a Seagate 2TB hdd (not sure the exact model number as I'd have to open up the XBOX).
Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, BTW hello, I have lurked around TIZ for a while but the first time I have created an account.

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing" -Homer Simpson
joewatiii 3

Custom Title: Blimey!

Re: 2TB HDD XBOX Cannot play Games after certain space used

Postby scorpNZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 am

Model of hdd can be got from system info or hardware.Doubt it's the issue as well as you say.

More info required on how you put the games there & what program.Reset to unleash suggests incomplete file structure of the games in other words it's attempting to find files that aren't there & when it doesn't it boots to default dash.

Have the games been used before & ok

scorpNZ 6

Postby joewatiii » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 am

The games will work fine if I put them on before I fill up the HDD, but, if I put them on after it fills up to a certain point they won't work. I have been FTPing them over to the Xbox. Model of HDD is ST20000DL003-9VT166. It has been baffling me and I have been working on it for a few days. Thanks!

joewatiii 3

Postby scorpNZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:09 am

Was this a new hdd & if not did you check it for bad sectors first

what capacity are the partitions showing that you have left

scorpNZ 6

Postby joewatiii » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 am

It is an HDD I have had for a while but did run a scandisk and no errors. Currently I have 218 gigs free on the F partition and all free on G. I am trying to rip some games from DVD to see if that works. Any game that doesn't work FTPing I have tried on my other Xbox with a 350gb HDD works fine on that one. Will let you know how ripping works. Thanks for the help.

joewatiii 3

Postby scorpNZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:26 am

Use filezilla to transfer & make sure in the "transfer" (in menu bar of FZ) it's set to binary & not auto.
Using FZ you'll see straight away if there's any files not being transferred in the not transferred tab at bottom along side current & completed.This will allow figuring out why it ain't working if there's an issue with ftp

scorpNZ 6

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 am

Re-run XBPartitioner 1.3 and make sure that the cluster size of 64KB is in use. Sometimes it doesn't take and gets set back to 32KB cluster size.

XBPartitioner v1.3 Partition List ER Area Red Outline.png

A few games have filenames >42 characters and cannot be transferred to the HDD via FTP.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaos_engr 7

Postby Massamo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:33 am

yes hdd not partition right

Consoles List
Spoiler:
Consoles:
Super Nintendo
Sega Mega Drive 2
Nintendo 64
Playstation 2 (Free Mcboot 1TB HDD)
Xbox (ModChip 2TB HDD)
Xbox 360
Playstation 3 (CFW Rebug 4.82.2 600GB USB)
Nintendo Wii (Soft Modded 120GB USB)
Nintendo Wii U (Soft Modded 320GB USB)
Xbox One S
Xbox One X (16TB USB)
Playstation 4 Pro (1TB USB)
Playstation (ModChip)
Nintendo Switch
Sega Dreamcast
Super Nintendo Mini (Soft Modded with USB-HOST mod 32gb USB)

Handheld:
Game Boy
Game Boy Advance
PSP (Soft Modded)
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 2DS XL (Soft Modded)
Massamo 6

Postby HisDivineShadow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:58 am

The UnleashX icons not displaying could be a separate issue.

There is a little reported problem with UnleashX as regards the total size of all the main menus' icons being used for Apps, Emulators, Games etc. I think it may be 100MB (102400KB). You'll get much slower menu loading long before that too.

You wouldn't think you get near 100MB but when some default icons are 100+KB and you have a lot of original/homebrew installed games, a slew of emulators + their ROMS and apps it can all add up.

In the past I've approached whatever that maximum is and the result was half the icons lower down the UnleashX menus go missing ie. don't display. The solution I started applying then was to reduce the size of any icons used to <50KB. In fact, particularly with homebrew games, the sometimes lousy PQ but still large file size of their default icons can be vastly improved despite a file size reduction.

XBMC does not appear to have the same problem.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby joewatiii » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks for the replies all. So, games don't work even when putting them on the G Partition once the F Partition gets filled up to a certain point. I also ripped a couple of games to the HDD from DVD and still the issue, so I don't think it is a problem with the FTPing. It does seem like it would be something with the partitioning as the games work fine up until I fill up the partition to a certain point (i.e. 32kb clusters for a 500gb). Here is a screen of my XBpartitioner below (it shows formatted as 64kb clusters and no ER).
HisDivineShadow wrote:
XBMC does not appear to have the same problem.
I did notice that XBMC doesn't seem to have a problem showing the icons. Is there anyway to tell other than what XBpartitioner says if the partitions are correctly formatted with 64kb clusters? I may just wait till I get the money to buy another HDD. I have had this HDD for years and never a single issue so I am baffled.
Thank you for all the replies and help!

EDIT: So I just installed XBMC to the E Partition and that won't even launch, it just resets into UnleashX so I don't know wtf is going on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joewatiii 3

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Try a different IDE-to-SATA adapter.

Are you using an 80-wire 40-pin high-speed IDE cable?

kaos_engr 7

Postby HisDivineShadow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm

It does sound like a more general HDD/hardware problem than something to do with the drive formatting.

That all looks good from the XBPartitioner screenshot. Did you use XBPartitioner v1.3 for the actual partitioning.

Not sure if any extended partition issue would affect the E:\drive though. As a softmod your main dash is most likely on the E:\drive so if there were some problem there the Xbox wouldn't boot at all.

If the other apps in E:\Apps work OK the XBMC launch trouble might not be caused by whatever else is wrong.

How was XBMC installed?

There are several ways of doing it but the safest is putting it in E:\Apps. From what you've written
So I just installed XBMC to the E Partition

it makes it sound like you installed it direct to the root of the E:\drive. That could be the problem, depending on how that was set up to launch.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby scorpNZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:05 am

HDS- Good catch on xbmc to the root & not apps
Kaos - is also correct you need the 80 pin cable

scorpNZ 6

Postby joewatiii » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 am

I do have an 80 pin IDE cable and I used hexen to install xbmc so I know its not installed to root. Maybe I will try a different adapter and 80 pin cable and if that doesn't go just wait for a new HDD. Thanks all again.

joewatiii 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Without checking HeXEn I'm not sure how it installs XBMC. Never done this before so I'm just going to try............

HeXEn menu (4) > Install Applications has two XBMC install options. It installs either to E:\ or F:\Apps\XBMC but also is supposed to put a shortcut on the root of the E:\drive.

The latter appears to be very iffy. I've tried two different HeXEn disc versions (original and Shables1980 Edit) and neither would allow me to install XBMC or any other applications to F:\Apps.

It looks like the HeXen discs are set up with F and G disabled but what is odd is that in the UnleashX dash settings you can access they are shown as enabled. A mismatch in the HeXEn config.xml and the main dash settings being used perhaps?

I then tried HexIns which I have permanently installed as an app. Now that worked fine F:\Apps\XBMC installed correctly and E:\Shortcuts installed. But the problem I have is that E:\Shortcuts folder contains two empty folders: XBMC Shortcut and inside that a xbmc.cfg folder(?). What is it for? Why are they there? There's no shortcut XBE so how is it supposed to work?

It doesn't make any sense to me - E:\Shortcuts should contain a simple, working shortcut to either E:\ or F:\Apps\XBMC depending where you installed XBMC. But even after launching the newly installed F:\Apps\XBMC....................nothing is written to that shortcuts folder.

Maybe you're supposed to install your own shortcut if you're going to use it as your main dash at a later point but it seems rather pointless and dangerous, at least without any explanation.

I did not want to stuff up my existing E:\Apps folder by trying to use HeXEn to install XBMC there
but unless this is something else apparently messed because of F and G being disabled I doubt that is the problem.

My suggestion is that joewatiii tries launching XBMC using he UnleashX file manager from the E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe (just click on it) and it should boot.

If it does not then the XBMC install was most messed up in some way and needs to reinstalled, preferably from a different source.

I'd ignore the E:\Shortcuts folder or better simply delete it. You do not need it there if XBMC is installed correctly in E:\ or F:\Apps.

Someone please explain HeXEn's functioning in this respect. Why are the F and G drive set up disabled when using discs yet an install to F:\Apps option is provided? What it is trying to do with the empty E:\Shortcuts folder?

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby deanochips » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:40 pm

either partition table or the file limit

deanochips Newbie

Return to Troubleshooting