Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Xbox v1.1/ST + TsoP flash iND with HeXEn-> Boot freeze

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

Xbox v1.1/ST + TsoP flash iND with HeXEn-> Boot freeze

Postby akis » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Hello dear friends! :bananaride:
Long story short.. So far i have succesfully TsoP/clock Cap replace/Some mobo bad caps replace/Cpu-gpu repaste/DVD lens clean-eject belt replace/thoroughly clean/bigger HDD
2x v1.0 (st chip) OG's
2x v1.4 (Winbond) OG's
and now.. this! :roll:
I try to TsoP an v1.1 with ST chip with iND-Bios...as the usual way (i know about the config file on C:/ drive)
TsoP points are correctly joined and double checked for bridge continuity with multimeter
I know about Bios File sizes and what Bios fits on what Chip so no possible error through the whole procedure as i'm carefully enough
Standard composite cable used. :geek:

I started and completed the TsoP procedure ... as usual with the HeXEn disc (2017 version).
After the reboot..
"LOADING IND-BIOS" appears on screen.. and that's it !
No further action..
Normally steps should be:
1) "LOADING IND-BIOS" -> 2) XboX intro video -> 3) "X" iND-Bios LOGO splash -> 4) Config read from C:/ -> 5) Dashboard loading

It seems that there is NO activity after the "LOADING IND-BIOS" first screan appears.
Like is stuck in there..
No COLD boot from DVD (any tool) neither trying to read anything from HDD.. :oops:
I would considered this as a "brick".. but i still have faith because at least it shows something on boot and not just black screen...
On the other hand.. the fact that it's not trying to read from DVD or HDD and just stays there.. leave me no other clue of what to do..
Any ideas or suggestions would be more than welcome mates..
What are the alternative solutions to reflash the TsOP if i don't have access to DVD or HDD?
Thanks

akis 2

Custom Title: The great

Re: Xbox v1.1/ST + TsoP flash iND with HeXEn-> Boot freeze

Postby irvgotti452 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Is the HDD in full working order? Or properly plugged in?

I'm not a noob. So don't answer me like one.
irvgotti452 3

Custom Title: RDC Member

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Which iND-BiOS 5003 or the Feb-11-05 beta (aka 5004)? Which LBA48 setup 06 or 67?

People seem to have problems with 5003.06 flashed to TSOP. And, I think for 1.0/1.1 Xbox's even with a modchip and requires a reflash to the 67 version.

Update: Alternatives with no DVD/HDD access.

1. Unsolder the TSOP and flash it with an external programmer (TL866CS or A) and re-install on the motherboard.
  2. Purchase an Aladdin XT plus2 XBlast modified modchip from Bad_AD84 (£14 + S&H) on assemblergames.com. Flash it with m7_tsop.bin and boot the Xbox with it to be able to reflash the TSOP.
  3. Purchase an Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip from eBay and install it to boot the console. Using this option won't help repair TSOP though as the previous 2 options do.

Last edited by kaos_engr on Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
kaos_engr 7

Postby akis » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:08 pm

irvgotti452 wrote:Is the HDD in full working order? Or properly plugged in?

It's properly plugged in for sure.. :mrgreen:
By saying "full working order" you mean:
a) Functional HDD without hardware problem?
-->Yes it's and old IDE drive checked with Hard Disk Sentinel and it's super fresh for it's age

b) Correctly Xbox hdd partitioned Disk?
-->Not completely.. It was softmoded so i had the opportunity before proceed with anything to copy with Ftp the Backup (eeprom) files. Also i had a copy of the whole C:/ and E:/

Right now i'm rebuilding a Hdd with Xbox HDmaker 1.9 and i will try to plug it in to see if there is any progress...

kaos_engr wrote:Which iND-BiOS 5003 or the Feb-11-05 beta (aka 5004)? Which LBA48 setup 06 or 67?

People seem to have problems with 5003.06 flashed to TSOP. And, I think for 1.0/1.1 Xbox's even with a modchip and requires a reflash to the 67 version.

kaos_engr if i can remember right.. i flashed the 5003.06 cause there was no plan at the moment to put a bigger Hdd.. Just Tsoped it to have it unlocked at the moment...

akis 2

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:19 pm

I think 5003.06 is a console BRICKeR. Use a different version. Doesn't really matter if you plan on adding bigger HDD or not, always use the .67 version of a BIOS.

Update: you mentioned that the console was previously softmodded. This could be the problem too. But, as you can't boot Hexen 2017 to clean the HDD after TSOP...stuck until a listed alternative is applied - one of the 3 above or this one below.

There are a few more alternatives: One I can think of: Buy an XBlast Lite modchip from bennydiamond @ AG (aka psyko_chewbacca @ XBMC4Xbox.org.uk). BitCoin required. Boot XBlastOS and reflash TSOP.

There are probably a couple more ...think... coming up BLANK!

kaos_engr 7

Postby akis » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:38 pm

As i was reading all your answers and learning the alternative methods to flash the TsoP with other ways.. i was playing with the console..
There are good things and bad things..
The good thing is that I manage to make it boot!
The procedure i follow is weired and not making any sense.. but it worked..
1) I prepare the HDD from the scratch with hdmaker 1.9
2) Boot the console.. --> NO GOOD
3) Replace the DVD unit with a SAMSUNG (SDG-605- that can't read disks) and it Boot to MS dash!!
4) I turn it off.. and back On.. and it stuck again after the ""LOADING IND-BIOS" screen on boot.
5) Turn off the console and put back on a good THOMSON-TGM600 and manage to boot again to MS dash.
6) Turn off the console.. and try to boot up again.. with NO result.. it stuck again after the ""LOADING IND-BIOS" screen on boot.
7) I load Hexen 2017 in THOMSON.. power off console
8) REMOVE the THOMSON drive and put back in the non-working SAMSUNg.. Guess what? It booted again in MS dash.... (crazy??)
So..
9) power off the Console again.. put back in the THOMSON with the loaded HeXen.. and Whoohoooo i manage to COLD boot it up. and also reflash the TsoP.. this time with iND 5004 F & G ...
After finished flashing.. xbox powered off.. and when i try to power it on again.. it is doing the same thing again!
Damn..
Does this happend to anyone before?
It feels like that "swapping" the DVD hardware is making the console to boot at least once!
But after that.. on the second boot.. it still freeze after the "LOADING IND-BIOS" appears on screen.

EDIT:As a final approach as all this doesn't make any sense to me , it's neither bricked.. nor is working properly.. i'm now disassembling the whole unit in order to remake the TsoP points on mobo.. :?
Although i have good soldering skills and Tsop point's are double checked and Ohm metered for continuity... sometimes you never now.. :roll: i don't know what else to think.. :?:

akis 2

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Did you add the ind-bios.cfg file to the HDD - C:\?

Is the HDD a SATA HDD with IDE-to-SATA adapter? And if so, connected to the Xbox with an 80-wire 40-pin high-speed cable?

IIRC, the HDD has to be ready when the BIOS tries to access the configuration file for iND-BiOS to boot

kaos_engr 7

Postby akis » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:49 pm

kaos_engr wrote:Did you add the ind-bios.cfg file to the HDD - C:\?

Yeap! Last time i booted up with HeXen i FTP the .cfg to C:\ , do a reset.. but still the same situation..
It's only boot once. Never Twice.
If i swap DVD devices it boot's up again, (for one time) :geek: :mrgreen:
Aliens are invading earth.. :lol:

kaos_engr wrote:Is the HDD a SATA HDD with IDE-to-SATA adapter? And if so, connected to the Xbox with an 80-wire 40-pin high-speed cable?

IIRC, the HDD has to be ready when the BIOS tries to access the configuration file for iND-BiOS to boot

HDD is an IDE and connected (at the moment) with the standard IDE cable of the console.
Hdd is already prepared with xboxhd1.9 and with ind-bios.cfg already placed in the root of C:

Here is also a quick Video that i have just made to show you the process..

akis 2

Postby kaos_engr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:45 am

The power supply can bite you. Ouch, that f :censored: g hurt!

Check the DVD power cable to make sure there's not a broken pin in the header or a bent pin inside the drive socket - the all yellow cable :). Examine and reseat the motherboard end too.

Reseat the IDE connectors on all devices: motherboard, DVD and HDD.

If those steps fail to fix it, try a different IDE cable.

kaos_engr 7

Postby akis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:50 am

kaos_engr wrote:The power supply can bite you. Ouch, that f :censored: g hurt!

Yeah! Totally agree with that! :evil:
It was the second time that i had accidentally touched a power supply's thermal heatsink with those beautiful Hazard and exclamation mark stickers on it.. (the first was while trying to remove the logic of an LCD Tv repair that i forgot to pull the plug out..)
:idea: :idea: :arrow: PEOPLE! Those thinks are connected to MAINS voltage.. 220V/110V
If there is NO reason to be connected to mains while working on the Unit e.g Trying to solve a POWER supply issue .. ALWAYS remember to pull the mains plug out..
While you are working usually your brain focus on what you are doing.. and sometimes.. you can accidentally touch things that you shouldn't touch!
BE WARNED.. IT HURTS! OR CAN CAUSE DEATH! :damn:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kaos_engr wrote:Check the DVD power cable to make sure there's not a broken pin in the header or a bent pin inside the drive socket - the all yellow cable :). Examine and reseat the motherboard end too.

Reseat the IDE connectors on all devices: motherboard, DVD and HDD.

If those steps fail to fix it, try a different IDE cable.

I swapped 3 different DVD power cables.. No luck..
Also i change to an 80pin IDE cable.. still the same..

ALSO things done:
1) Remove the motherboard and re-do the 2 TsoP points.. i was more than 1000% that they were done right on my previews attempt.. but i did it anyway.. My soldering skills are good.
After that.. the Console is not acting like before.
Before the redone of the TsoP points it was booting at least once with the dvd hardware "swap: trick.

Now it boot's up randomly ! :lol: :spliff:
It boot's about one time every 5 to 10 attempts.. even if i do the "swap" of the DVD units like i did before..

2) On my last success boot.. i manage to Load HeXeN2017 and Flash again the TsoP .. this time with a X2 5035 F&G 512k Bios to see if this gonna fix the problem...
but with no Luck again.. :facepalm:

Now it boot's randomly again (i haven't manage to figure yet if the Dvd swap helps) displaying an "XECUTER2 CONFIG LIVE LOADING...." and then (if boot properly) goes to Dash as normal..
No second boot of course.

3)Another thing that was pass my mind.. was to reflash the Tsop with the original Kernel (1mb file) Kernel 1.00.4817.01 for V1.1 to see if there's any change..
So i extract HeXen2017.iso.. found the BIOS folder and put my original kernel.bin file in there... then i rebuild the ISO.. burn it to a disk with iMG Burn at low speed as usual.. and try to boot up to reflash with HeXen..
OF course it didn't work... as there is probably also a config file that tells HeXen from "where" to read Bios Files and "what" to read from the folder..
So i can't see MY.bin file either in 256k BIOS folder Nor the 512K Bios Folder of HeXen tSop flash menu..

4)So on next successful boot i revert to the iND-Bios again..

I can remember that there was an App Tool that could allow you to flash the TsoP while on Dash.. (or not?? :roll: )

Do you suggest to try to install original Kernel or not?
The Usefull info of the day.. is that i DON'T have an "original eeprom backup" of the specific unit (the one that the Softmod usually put's in partition E:/Backup/Eeprom as i forgot to FTP it to my Pc before reformat the HDD with hdmaker. :oops:
So.. reverting back to original kernel is possible ?
i found the original kernel.bin files from here https://tinyurl.com/yadhw753

The good thing is that.. Ok.. no big deal as this unit was mine..
I had lent it to a friend for about the last decade.. and he also stopped playin long time ago.. so the unit was sitting collecting just dust.
On the other hand.. it was already softmoded a long time ago.. so it was a working unit..
I also own 3 more unit's 2 x v1.0 and a V1.4 wich i had successfully TsoPed from Softmoded..

But this now makes me wonder if it is finally worth it to kill a mobo going from softmod to TsoP..
Sure i had read a lot and gather all the required tools and info that was needed in order to proceed with TsoP procedure on those beautiful OG's..
For sure my experience on TsoPing xboxes is not huge compared to others.. but for sure i know what i'm doing and i'm doing it with caution..

akis 2

Postby akis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:18 am

An update on this one with Some questions if somebody can help..
Reading this about changing your eeprom-> http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-211.html
i read that "You will have to get a non-banned(doesn't matter anymore i guess) EEPROM.bin and EEPROM.cfg from somewhere..

and here comes the question...
The .bin files of the original Kernels that i have found, does NOT include a .cfg file..

Being able to make a backup of my current iND eeprom with Configmagic Tool i see EEPROMBackup.bin and EEPROMBackup.cfg
Inside the EEPROMBackup.cfg file of the iND eeprom dump i can see the following->
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#Please note ALL fields and Values are Case Sensitive !!

[EEPROMDATA]
XBOXSerial = "111401621603"
XBOXMAC = "00:50:F2:3E:BA:21"

OnlineKey = "1B:50:98:1A:C5:F7:03:EA:26:D6:B2:EE:9A:19:D5:86"

#ONLY Use NTSC or PAL for VideoMode
VideoMode = "NTSC"

#ONLY Use 01, 02 or 04 for XBE Region
XBERegion = "04"

HDDKey = "A4:86:89:82:29:16:F6:BE:7F:4B:77:1C:C4:7A:55:7F"
Confounder = "00:00:00:00:30:4B:1C:00"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also ConfigMagic save a EEPROMBackup.TXT file with the following data

******* CONFIGMAGIC INFORMATION FILE *******

XBOX VERSION = V1.0
KERNEL VERSION: 1.0.5035.1
XBOX RAM = 64 MBYTES

XBOX SERIAL NUMBER = 111401621603
XBOX MAC ADDRESS = 00-50-F2-3E-BA-21
XBOX ONLINE KEY = 1B50981AC5F703EA26D6B2EE9A19D586
XBOX VIDEO MODE = NTSC
XBOX XBE REGION = 04
XBOX HDD KEY = A48689822916F6BE7F4B771CC47A557F
XBOX CONFOUNDER = 00000000304B1C00

XBOX HDD MODEL = WDC WD5000AAKB-00YSA0
XBOX HDD SERIAL = WD-WCAS87720301

XBOX HDD PASSWORD = C0C6E33118B3099E5338059B06D4D426DCFAB562

XBOX DVD MODEL = THOMSON-DVD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to flash the original MS kernel .bin using the .cfg file of this "iND" extracted .cfg file?

:?: :?: :?:

akis 2

Postby kaos_engr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 am

The kernel/BIOS is different than the configuration eeprom backup.

The kernel is written to the 1MB flash memory chip on the Xbox motherboard. The eeprom backup comes from the 8-pin 256-byte eeprom chip that's mounted between the BIOS flash chip and the PIC processor.

ogXbox PIC - EEPROM - BIOS FLASH - LPC Debug Port.jpg

The EEPROM cfg file shows in readable format information about the data saved in the eeprom.bin backup file.

The <BIOS>.bin file is either 256KB, 512KB or 1,024KB in size while the eeprom.bin file is only 256 bytes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaos_engr 7

Postby akis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 am

kaos_engr wrote:The kernel/BIOS is different than the configuration eeprom backup.

The kernel is written to the 1MB flash memory chip on the Xbox motherboard. The eeprom backup comes from the 8-pin 256-byte eeprom chip that's mounted between the BIOS flash chip and the PIC processor.

ogXbox PIC - EEPROM - BIOS FLASH - LPC Debug Port.jpg

The EEPROM cfg file shows in readable format information about the data saved in the eeprom.bin backup file.

The <BIOS>.bin file is either 256KB, 512KB or 1,024KB in size while the eeprom.bin file is only 256 bytes.

Remind me to buy you a tone of cold beers mate.. for shorting things out.. :mrgreen: :party: :rock: :gj:
I guess i will leave the Bios rest Alone.. :lol:

EDIT: So.. now that all cleared in my mind.. if i grab an eeprom.bin and an eeprom.cfg file from another console's original backup an try to flash it with Configmagic Tool it will do the job ? :?:
It has to be an v1.2 board eeprom backup?
or it can work with other eeprom dumps? (i have eeprom dumps from my v1.0 and v1.4)

akis 2

Postby kaos_engr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am

For these eeprom questions you ask, I'm not sure of the correct answer. I've never messed with the EEPROM other than to back it up so the HDDKey is stored away for safe keeping purposes to rebuild a new HDD if/when the current one dies.

I do know that v1.6 consoles have 64 bytes of data present (the last 64 bytes 0x00 filled for 1.0-1.5's but not 1.6's) that must not be changed or the console will not boot.

I don't think the booting problem has anything to do with the configuration eeprom data. But, cannot be 100% certain about it.

kaos_engr 7

Postby akis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:17 am

Yeah.. i see.. So it's going to be one more shot.. afterall the motherbord doesn't seems to be working correctly.. (and i really can't figure out why..)..
I'm goint to try and flash it with an v1.0 eeprom backup from my other console.. because they both use the ST chip to see what the result will be..

akis 2

Postby akis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 pm

A little update..
1st) I flashed the eeprom dump from v1.0 with Configmagic..
Cant say that fix anything... (except that change console S/N ,XBOXMAC,OnlineKey and HDD key ofcourse )

2)nd Using EurAsia Pro Generic Flash Disc v1.3 i manage to also flash the BIOs back to Original MS 1.00.4817.01

Didn't fix the problem eiter...
Even on original M$ dash it still needs a "dvd drive" harware swap in order to boot the Green MS flubber.. leading to an 05 error screen ,cause i have the HDD unlocked of course.
I could easily lock the drive using xboxhd and the HDD key that i have.. but i'm sure that is not going to fix anything..
Conclusion.. Console still needs a "hardware change" (dvd unit swap) on any possible BIOS tested in order to Boot again after the First successful boot.

So we have a hardware failure here that prevents the Tsop to boot more than once successfully??
I think that it's time to give up... and let it Rest in Peace :roll:
( :idea: :idea: i think that except the Xbox motherboard that probably have some fault...this is a good point to start planning putting a mini itx mobo inside there.. power supply provide the desired voltages after all.. :mrgreen: :geek: )

akis 2

Postby akis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:15 pm

Decide to give another round.. after reading this post-> viewtopic.php?f=35&t=67522 that user Jarp seems to have near the same stability problems with me.. except the "swap" trick.. and i thought that the only Bios that i haven't try was the M8+ bios .. so it was time to give a try.. but as my last attemt was to revert to MS Kernel.. i had to Make the HDD locked accordingly in order to boot proper for the first time.. so then i can softmod-> toTsoP Flax the M8+ bios as a hopefully final sollution to this nightmare..
It's been near 3 days in a raw trying to figure out how i can make it work properly..
I must had set a new world guiness record of continius DVD-swapping for 3days in a row..
So...
1) Manage to build the original Ms hdd from the scratch and lock the drive with the proper eeprom.
2) Next it boot as normal with MS Dash 1.00.5960.01 and K.1.00.4817.01
3) after the next reboot.. it took a lot of DVD drive swaps in order to boot again (No screen at all.. just black screen and me swappinmg dvd drives and trying to boot..

4) So i finally manage to boot again.. and begin softmoding instantly
5) On next success reboot i preload the HeXen2017 Dvd and boot from it..
6) TsoP flashed M8+ bios f&g and reboot...
the problem still remains..
Only one succesfull boot...
So i consider this as a TsoP chip error? Not being able to proper boot more than once?

akis 2

Postby kaos_engr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Did you restore the original eeprom data to the motherboard?

Unlock the HDD before doing so if the HDD is locked.

Had the clock cap on this motherboard been removed? Was there any leaked electrolyte on the motherboard? According to how bad the clock cap leaked, there could be electrolyte on the underside of the motherboard too. It all needs to be clean off with 91%+ isopropyl alcohol and q-tips or similar. Check for any damaged traces where the electrolyte residue was present especially along the edge on the underside (solder side) of the motherboard.

trace damage section 7 front edge of Xbox motherboard (solder side).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kaos_engr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos_engr 7

Postby akis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Kaos_engr as you said i can put in an Aladdin XT plus2 (XBlast modified or Not i suppose..) in order to Flas or just Bypass the TsoP.
Do you believe that a modchip will bypass the boot failure ?
Instead of using XT+2 if i buy a chip e-bay Aladdin XT +4032 will do the same job?
I just want to boot this thing.. but as i believe that i deal with a faulty mobo after all this trial and error.. i dont want to spend more on the XT2+ and just leave it in there just to boot.
Cause i don't beleive that is a "flashing tool" problem.. Probably it's a bad TsoP chip? or another hardware failure?.. who knows..
But is Aladdin XT +4032 will do the same job? :?:

akis 2

Postby kaos_engr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Yes, try a modchip. These Aladdin XT plus 2 clones are sold under many different names XT2+, 4032, Aladdin XT 4032, XT4032, etc.

aladdin_xt_plus2.jpg

XT4032.png

Should be < $5.00

Last edited by kaos_engr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos_engr 7

Next

Return to System Modding