Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

The Iso Zone

any multiplat games worse/different on xbox?

Discuss your favourite Xbox titles here and reccomend them to other members!

any multiplat games worse/different on xbox?

Postby cody1638 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 am

Just saw this comparison of nfs hp2

I had no idea it was so different since i played it on ps2 originally. I always assumed xbox had the best console versions of every multiplat but im wondering what other 6th gen games are inferior or massively different like this?
Been getting alot of xbox games and neglecting ps2 and gc lol

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
cody1638 4

Re: any multiplat games worse/different on xbox?

Postby VoodooVincent » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:17 am

From my experience, Hot Pursuit 2 is the exception, as every other multiplat looks & often performs better on Xbox, controller preference aside.

We won, maggle! #MAGA
VoodooVincent 6

Postby 607jf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 am

Wow the ps2 version looks great. I played the GameCube version. But why? Carbon run fine on gamecube.

607jf 4

Postby InquisitionImplied » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:25 am

An interesting one is Tom Clancy Rainbow Six: Lockdown. It targets 60FPS on the Gamecube, but the Xbox version caps the framerate at 30FPS so it can improve the graphics

I'm a simple guy. I want perfection, so I work for it.
InquisitionImplied 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:31 pm

The typical problem with original Xbox games is that they were multi-platform ports ie. not specifically designed exclusives.

I remember at the time games like Splinter Cell and Indiana Jones & The Emperor's Tomb were all Xbox exclusives but later ported to other consoles. In the comparisons I saw the Xbox versions had notably better PQ and that was just at SD resolutions. Neither of those games supported 480p on the PS2 so the Xbox versions were undoubtedly far better in that respect.

But later when the PS2 became the 'default' console of that generation the difference between games on any platform ie. PS2, GC, Xbox was usually minimal. A UK TV games magazine/review show once did a comparison using Timesplitters 2 on all three console proving that.

The theory was the games were being designed for the lowest power console, the PS2, and the GC and Xbox versions were little more than ports rather than being made to make full use of either of the other platform's better capabilities. They were often developed by different studios too.

I've checked and that was the case with the clearly graphically better PS2 version of the game shown in the OP. EA Black Box did the PS2 version whilst both the very similar looking Xbox and GC versions were done by EA Seatle. Interesting to note that EA closed EA Seattle in 2002 the year that game came out and they didn't kill EA Black Box until 2009. Coincidence?

On the subject of graphics/framerate it was claimed at the time that Tomb Raider Legend on the Xbox was the only version of the game that ran at 60FPS and in that respect was even better than the XB360 version which was fixed at 30FPS for the same ^ reason.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Stoic666 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:16 pm

No big difference, but Tenchu 3 has more stages and it looks a bit sharper on the xbox.

Stoic666 2

Custom Title: casual weirdo

Postby brianunfried » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 pm

The PS2 version of Darkwatch has an extra level and weapon not available on Xbox.

brianunfried 3

Postby duwen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Xbox had Outrun 2, but PS2 got the far superior, expanded, Outrun Coast 2 Coast.

I generally pick up multi-plat titles for PS2, mainly because they're so much cheaper, but I definitely prefer the GC versions of Killer7, Super Monkey Ball, and the Viewtiful Joe games (all of which were originally GC exclusives anyway).

2d versus fighting games of that generation are, without exception, all better on Dreamcast.

The Xbox got that enhanced version of DOA 1+2 that's a step up from the rival consoles, but vanilla DOA 2 is much better on Dreamcast than PS2.

duwen 3

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby cody1638 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:10 pm

duwen wrote:Xbox had Outrun 2, but PS2 got the far superior, expanded, Outrun Coast 2 Coast.

I generally pick up multi-plat titles for PS2, mainly because they're so much cheaper, but I definitely prefer the GC versions of Killer7, Super Monkey Ball, and the Viewtiful Joe games (all of which were originally GC exclusives anyway).

2d versus fighting games of that generation are, without exception, all better on Dreamcast.

The Xbox got that enhanced version of DOA 1+2 that's a step up from the rival consoles, but vanilla DOA 2 is much better on Dreamcast than PS2.

Xbox has coast 2 coast too its just rare/expensive now, awesome game tho. I played monkey ball deluxe on ps2 lol that was a wack ass port, its 30fps but feels terrible compared to the gc

another one i remember is red dead revolver pretty sure was 30fps on ps2 and 60fps or unlocked on xbox, something like that

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
cody1638 4

Postby Sabkahn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Hot Pursuit 2 looks better on PS2 because it was build from the ground up just for that system from a different Studio within EA, all other versions are based on the PC Version, and that PC version, while looking pretty decent for the time, was able to run on PC´s that where considered weak even at the time of the games release.

The Splinter Cell games are a somewhat similar Story. The PC and XBox Versions where the main Focus and developed by the same team while another team had the pleasure of creating a similar-ish game for the PS2 and Gamecube at the same time. Essentialy Team A created content and assets for PC and XBox, once finished they handed it down to Team B wich did their best to make it run smoothly on the PS2 and then ported that to the Gamecube because these Ports where released either at the same time or 6 Months later at max on these 2 Systems.

Sabkahn 3

Postby MonkeyBoyBlitz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:58 pm

HisDivineShadow wrote:On the subject of graphics/framerate it was claimed at the time that Tomb Raider Legend on the Xbox was the only version of the game that ran at 60FPS and in that respect was even better than the XB360 version which was fixed at 30FPS for the same ^ reason.

Well, it's true. The OG Xbox version of Legend is better than the Xbox 360 one.
Interestingly enough, Legend on the X360 is one of those games that run better in 480p. In HD there are noticeable framerate drops but they go away if the game is played in 480p. Just like Quake 4.

brianunfried wrote:The PS2 version of Darkwatch has an extra level and weapon not available on Xbox.

It was another horse-riding level. No big loss, to be honest.

MonkeyBoyBlitz 3

Return to Xbox Gaming