Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Random disc burning success ..what's going on???

Are you having Dreamcast Hardware Problems? Trouble Emulating or Playing a Game? Ask our Dreamcast experts here!

Random disc burning success ..what's going on???

Postby woods153 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:05 am

Hello everyone,

I haven't really read any other posts from people who are having problems similar to mine, so here goes ..

First off, my dreamcast is an NTSC (1) August 2000 model, Sega Sports edition. I'm using UPDATE v1.3 IMGBurn 2.5.7.0 w/ Dreamcast Drivers from this site to burn the backups - drivers are placed in correct folder. I have Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim CD-R discs that I'm using. The backups are also from this website.

Problem - my rate for successfully burning backups is all over the place. Example 1 - Will burn a game at 4x speed and it won't boot up. Will then burn same game a second time at same 4x speed, with same brand cd-r, and it boots right up. Example 2 - Will burn a game at 4x speed and it won't boot up. Will then burn same game at a different speed, say AWS or 16x, and it works fine. Or vise versa - will burn a game at AWS or 16x speed with no luck, retry it at 4x (again, with same brand disc) and it works fine. I feel like every game has a mind of its own and I blow 3 discs and a bunch of time before I get a working copy. Has anyone else had this problem and narrowed it down to have a greater success rate for burning backups that work? Should I be looking for another brand of CD-R that my specific dreamcast likes, or maybe try a new cd/dvd rw drive ..give alcohol 120% a try? I'm baffled because I read so many good things about Imgburn with the dreamcast drivers working so well and Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim CD-R discs being the preferred brands of discs to use. Please help - any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

woods153 Newbie

Re: Random disc burning success ..what's going on???

Postby kolbjoey1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:15 am

try imgBurn and write at 3x it works everytime on my modded xbox.

kolbjoey1 3

Custom Title: Modder

Postby CurbsidePharmacist » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 am

I used multiple programs and speed for burning.
I've found that mounting the ISO/CDI to a virtual drive then telling Alcohol 120% to make a 1:1 copy has worked the best for me.

Free memory card exploit service PS2/Xbox U.S. Only

Simple questions answered here
If you need to ask a question search the forums first here

Read the rules.
Theisozone Upload Rules

Follow me on Twitter!! https://twitter.com/CurbsideRX
CurbsidePharmacist 13

Custom Title: Admin #2

Postby mistamontiel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:23 am

My Dreamcast unit just loves fast burns .. I could have a coaster @ 4x but 24x is the sweet spot for me will spin up every time and play flawlessly

I have the big three ImgBurn Alcohol and Padus Discjuggler I get best results on DJ just that RAW Write checkbox must be checked

mistamontiel 6

Custom Title: ..!!

Postby Mr357 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 am

What discs are you using? I recommend using ImgBurn to check on the true manufacturer of your discs. Most will say CMC Magnetics (cheap Chinese crap). That being said, ones made by CMC will usually work, but AZO and Taiyo Yuden are ideal.

Shenmue: The Movie Remastered
Spoiler:

Shenmue II: The Movie
Spoiler:

My consoles
Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 1) - composite
Genesis (Model 2) - composite
Sega CD (Model 1)
Sega CD (Model 2)
SNES - S-video
PC Engine Duo-R - composite
Sega Saturn (Model 1) (Modchip'd) - S-video
Playstation (7501) - S-video
Nintendo 64 - S-video
Dreamcast - S-video/VGA
Playstation 2 (Fat) - component
Xbox - component
Gamecube (Black) - S-video
Wii - component
Mr357 5

Custom Title: (Old) Sega fan

Postby sasapinjic » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:40 am

^ It is probably either this ( bad quality discs, so some worked fine and some not, for more info on checking quality of them click on burning ps1/ps2 games link in my signature and read section 8 ), or your burner is nearly dead and manage to work-out some ocasional ok last burns.
My burner recently start to act like that to, it start to give more and more bad burns after burning entire Hill of good burns in last years, but its reach his limit sadly .

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(LightningBoltScumbag)

Postby Biggsy666 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:37 am

kolbjoey1 wrote:try imgBurn and write at 3x it works everytime on my modded xbox.

He's burning for the dreamcast, CD not DVD and hes not using your hardware.

Try burning a little higher. Typically CD prefers a higher speed compared to DVD. I burn mine at X12 for dreamcast as thats the sweet spot for my hardware and use imgburn (as you are) as its by far the best modern choice. Don't use alcohol as its now outdated, some still use Discjuggler with good results. Of course your hardware/setup is different to everyone elses so you need to find the sweet spot for yours, it may be your laser is struggling rather than the burn/discs and needs a tweak or your burner hardware is on its last legs. No one can say for sure what your issue is but these are things to check. Try other hardware, swapping things out can often reveal the underlying issue.

Do the burns that work continue to work without issue or do they stop working after a short time? Do you burn discs for any other system on the same hardware?

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My custom Console Projects
Biggsy666 9

Postby mistamontiel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:00 pm

357 , is we fucked ? CMC now owns Taiyo Yuden , not JVC

Haven't got that low to order a stack yet .. o.0

mistamontiel 6

Postby woods153 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Ok, so I downloaded disc juggler 6 from here and am using just the demo version which restricts write speed to the lowest speed your drive can write, I believe (mine is 4x and that's what it appears to be writing at) and it says the file size is restricted to 700mb, but 2 of the 5 games I did this morning were larger than 700mb and it worked with the 'overburn disc' box checked off in the 'advanced' settings tab, so not sure if that part is actually restricted. I'm 5 for 5 this morning on burning successful backups, so hopefully this is the answer to my problems KOW (knock on wood!!!). I'm using this on Windows 10 btw.

The process (this is from a tutorial I found on another site)
-Right click on your dreamcast .cdi file and open with disc juggler
-Under 'Action' make sure the setting is set to 'write' only and not 'write and verify' ..mine defaults to 'write' every time I open DJ, so I don't ever have to change this
-In the 'advanced' tab, set Mode to 'mode 1/dvd' , Block to '2352' , and TOC to 'cd-xa'
-In the 'advanced' tab under 'Misc' check boxes for 'add post-gap to 3rd party images', 'RAW write', and 'overburn disc'.
-insert your cd-r and click start

This is what's working for me, just in case anyone else is having problems and wants to try something new. Will report back to confirm success rate continues. Thanks!

For whatever it's worth - I noticed both my Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim discs are manufactured by CMC when reading disc info in Imgburn ...bummer, I guess. I also noticed the Taiyo's I have seem pretty unbalanced and wobble when watching them spin in my Dreamcast with the case of console opened.

woods153 Newbie

Postby Mr357 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:59 pm

mistamontiel wrote:357 , is we fucked ? CMC now owns Taiyo Yuden , not JVC

Haven't got that low to order a stack yet .. o.0

Yes, and unfortunately for me, I ran out of them a few months ago.

Shenmue: The Movie Remastered
Spoiler:

Shenmue II: The Movie
Spoiler:

My consoles
Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 1) - composite
Genesis (Model 2) - composite
Sega CD (Model 1)
Sega CD (Model 2)
SNES - S-video
PC Engine Duo-R - composite
Sega Saturn (Model 1) (Modchip'd) - S-video
Playstation (7501) - S-video
Nintendo 64 - S-video
Dreamcast - S-video/VGA
Playstation 2 (Fat) - component
Xbox - component
Gamecube (Black) - S-video
Wii - component
Mr357 5

Custom Title: (Old) Sega fan

Postby kolbjoey1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Biggsy666 wrote:
kolbjoey1 wrote:try imgBurn and write at 3x it works everytime on my modded xbox.

Try burning a little higher. Typically CD prefers a higher speed compared to DVD. I burn mine at X12 for dreamcast as thats the sweet spot for my hardware and use imgburn (as you are) as its by far the best modern choice. Don't use alcohol as its now outdated, some still use Discjuggler with good results. Of course your hardware/setup is different to everyone elses so you need to find the sweet spot for yours, it may be your laser is struggling rather than the burn/discs and needs a tweak or your burner hardware is on its last legs. No one can say for sure what your issue is but these are things to check. Try other hardware, swapping things out can often reveal the underlying issue.

Do the burns that work continue to work without issue or do they stop working after a short time? Do you burn discs for any other system on the same hardware?

ive used img burn for everything even making backups of dvd ive purchased because they were hard to find movies. also used on psone bach ups

kolbjoey1 3

Custom Title: Modder

Postby mistamontiel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Wow I didn't know DJ can just install in Win 10 I thought it had to be copied over from older OS

n1

mistamontiel 6

Postby Biggsy666 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:48 pm

kolbjoey1 wrote:
Biggsy666 wrote:

ive used img burn for everything even making backups of dvd ive purchased because they were hard to find movies. also used on psone bach ups

Yeah, you've completely missed the point i was making :roll:

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My custom Console Projects
Biggsy666 9

Postby UnholyArceus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:55 pm

i can't recall what speed i use for my cd's game but i got 8X and it always works for me.

this is what needs to happen to gamestop.
UnholyArceus 9

Custom Title: i'm getting mugged by gamestop.

Postby woods153 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 pm

So ..disc juggler v6 starting crashing on windows 10 after about the 5th backup was made, but it seemed to be only when I opened disc juggler by right clicking on the .cdi file and clicking "open with ... disc juggler" (per the tutorial I found on another site). I now just open disc juggler first and find and open the .cdi file through disc juggler and there is no problem. I'm not sure what that's about. I did find a tut on how to properly install disc juggler v6 on windows 10 from a google search (if anyone's interested in that). I also burned a game at 40x speed by accident (forgot to set it to 8x as recommended) and it worked, so I did another, and another, and another etc. and they all seem to work! I haven't played every game 100% through but I did a few levels of dynamite cop and played a couple fighting games with multiple characters and saw no problems. Maybe the write speed thing is a myth? Who knows, but this is just what works for me. I guess my cd-r drive just likes disc juggler better than imgburn or something. Anyway, all the insight and feedback has been much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Does anyone else here burn at full speed with no problems??? Just curios ..thanks.

woods153 Newbie

Postby mistamontiel » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 pm

Yup I set 24x in DJ but sounds like maxing lol

Some consoles like low speed , some consoles like high speed

mistamontiel 6

Return to Troubleshooting