Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

The Iso Zone

Need help with xbox 360 DVD Drive Repair.

Discuss the Xbox 360 here. General discussion, troublshooting, guides and more.

Need help with xbox 360 DVD Drive Repair.

Postby Gray1579 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:02 am

Well I have one that has me somewhat confused. I bought a 360 halo 3 special edition. It's a 203 watt Zephyr room warmer. Anyway after some checking out, I found that it has the original motherboard in it. The serial number on the xbox matches the electronic serial number. Whats giving me the problem is the DVD drive. It's a BenQ VDA6038. I went through it replaced the belt and then replaced the laser with one that was working out of another drive which was a Lite-on 16D2s. Still no joy. It reads DVD's fine but not a game disk. Now when the drive has been replaced and the motherboard doesn't match the DVD drive it gives what looks like a boot screen with xbox 360 on it and just sits there. Instead it gives me an unrecognizable disk error. I have tried several different disks. I don't have another BenQ drive so I guess what I'm asking is do you think I got a mechanical drive problem or a bad DVD daughter board problem?

Any thoughts appreciated

Gray1579 3

Re: Need help with xbox 360 DVD Drive Repair.

Postby mercuryshadow09 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 am

The daughter board has to be from the same kind of drive. Find another BenQ drive and replace the daughter board with yours and put it in.

Genesis model 1
Genesis model 2 + 32X + Sega CD
PS1 with Stealth chip
PS2 Fat soft modded - network adapter and 80 gig HDD
PS3 OFW
PS3 REX 4.82
PS4
OXbox X3 all soft modded
RGH'd Jasper 360 w/ Cool runner rev C
Dreamcast
Saturn model 2 w/ Universal V3
Wii with WODE Jukebox
GameCube Xenochipped
mercuryshadow09 7

Custom Title: Human metronome

Postby Gray1579 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 am

I've got 8 old drives here and not one BenQ in the bunch. Ain't that the way it goes. 20.95 on Ebay.

Gray1579 3

Postby mercuryshadow09 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:11 am

Gray1579 wrote:I've got 8 old drives here and not one BenQ in the bunch. Ain't that the way it goes. 20.95 on Ebay.

It usually does, I got lucky though ironically enough. I bought a Zephyr about two months ago with a bad drive for $10, then about a month ago a Halo 3 limited edition popped up for $20. Turned out it had the RROD, but I put the drive in the other Zephyr and the Halo case on my Jasper.

Genesis model 1
PS1 with Stealth chip
PS3 OFW
PS3 REX 4.82
PS4
OXbox X3 all soft modded
Dreamcast
Wii with WODE Jukebox
GameCube Xenochipped
mercuryshadow09 7

Postby Gray1579 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 am

I have a Jasper board and drive that I can put in the Halo 3 Special Edition. But I got the original motherboard and I would like to keep it all original. But it's not in pristine condition.

Gray1579 3

Postby scorpNZ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 am

Check to see if the dvd drive can be flashed with the necessary info..This topic is way out of my scope however the guy's at realmods will know what to do & may be able to replace the drive with a lite-on by spoofing or something. This drive locking really is BS

scorpNZ 6

Postby mercuryshadow09 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:01 am

scorpNZ wrote:Check to see if the dvd drive can be flashed with the necessary info..This topic is way out of my scope however the guy's at realmods will know what to do & may be able to replace the drive with a lite-on by spoofing or something. This drive locking really is BS

I'm pretty sure that requires extracting the Nand if the daughter board doesn't match.

Genesis model 1
PS1 with Stealth chip
PS3 OFW
PS3 REX 4.82
PS4
OXbox X3 all soft modded
Dreamcast
Wii with WODE Jukebox
GameCube Xenochipped
mercuryshadow09 7

Postby mercuryshadow09 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:07 am

mercuryshadow09 wrote:
scorpNZ wrote:Check to see if the dvd drive can be flashed with the necessary info..This topic is way out of my scope however the guy's at realmods will know what to do & may be able to replace the drive with a lite-on by spoofing or something. This drive locking really is BS

I'm pretty sure that requires extracting the Nand if the daughter board doesn't match.

"The Xbox 360 has whats called a "DVD key" paired to each motherboard and DVD drive combo. The DVD key on the motherboard must match the DVD key on the drive or the console will not boot games. If you already tried dumping the DVD key from the drive that came with the Xbox and flashing it to your replacement drive (using the correct firmware for the replacement drive as well) and the console still does not boot games (displays "Play DVD" when a game is inserted), you don't have the correct DVD key and the console will never boot a game.

There are ways to retrieve DVD keys from the motherboard however they fall under "ridiculous hardware hacks" as you called them and will probably be more effort than it's really worth. However, if it's a route you're interested in following, there are currently two methods for dumping the NAND (Where the DVD key is stored) of an Xbox. "

Easier to just find a matching drive and switch out the daughter board, it's not that hard, only like five wires and pretty large solder points.

Genesis model 1
PS1 with Stealth chip
PS3 OFW
PS3 REX 4.82
PS4
OXbox X3 all soft modded
Dreamcast
Wii with WODE Jukebox
GameCube Xenochipped
mercuryshadow09 7

Postby cruzer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:09 pm

Sounds to me, that the Benq is not the original drive
Does the seller still have the original drive?

The dvd keys must match between the consoles mobo and the drives pcb

When you get "insert game into xbox 360" or "play dvd" when a game is inserted, or when a drive only reads dvd's but not games, then the seller swapped out the drive

If the seller does not have the original drive, then your only option is to
1st, extract the dvd key from the drive you want to use, with a usbpro, probe or not, with jf.
2nd, then rgh the console and take that dvd key you extracted, and patch the nand. Make sure when you enter the dvd key, also enter the correct OSIG , before you patch

Then when you write your nand, you'll be able to use the disc drive

cruzer 3

Custom Title: The Glitcher

Postby mercuryshadow09 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:10 pm

cruzer wrote:Sounds to me, that the Benq is not the original drive

When you get "insert game into xbox 360" or "play dvd" when a game is inserted, or when a drive only reads dvd's but not games, then the seller swapped out the drive

1st, extract the dvd key from the drive you want to use, with a usbpro, probe or not, with jf.
2nd, then rgh the console and take that dvd key you extracted, and patch the nand. Make sure when you enter the dvd key, also enter the correct OSIG , before you patch

Read the OP again, it came with the drive and daughter board.

Genesis model 1
PS1 with Stealth chip
PS3 OFW
PS3 REX 4.82
PS4
OXbox X3 all soft modded
Dreamcast
Wii with WODE Jukebox
GameCube Xenochipped
mercuryshadow09 7

Postby cruzer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:55 pm

mercuryshadow09 wrote:
cruzer wrote:Sounds to me, that the Benq is not the original drive

Read the OP again, it came with the drive and daughter board.

I did. There is no guarantee that when you buy an xbox 360 off someone else, that it will have the original drive in it. I've seen this hundreds and hundreds of times, where people swap out a drive because the drive doesn't read disc, when they could of simply swapped out a $5 laser. That person then sells the console, so it becomes someone else's problem

If you get an xbox 360, and you're getting "please insert disc into an xbox 360" or "play dvd" when you insert a "game disc" and "only plays dvd's not games". The issue is, it's not the original drive. Swapping it out for another benq or a new laser, will not fix the issue

RGH the zephyr and grab the dvd key from the benq . I bet you, the keys don't match :shock:

cruzer 3

Custom Title: The Glitcher

Postby mercuryshadow09 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:37 pm

cruzer wrote:
I did. There is no guarantee that when you buy an xbox 360 off someone else, that it will have the original drive in it. I've seen this hundreds and hundreds of times, where people swap out a drive because the drive doesn't read disc, when they could of simply swapped out a $5 laser. That person then sells the console, so it becomes someone else's problem

If you get an xbox 360, and you're getting "please insert disc into an xbox 360" or "play dvd" when you insert a "game disc" and "only plays dvd's not games". The issue is, it's not the original drive. Swapping it out for another benq or a new laser, will not fix the issue

RGH the zephyr and grab the dvd key from the benq . I bet you, the keys don't match :shock:

Maybe I'm not reading this part right..

Gray1579 wrote: Now when the drive has been replaced and the motherboard doesn't match the DVD drive it gives what looks like a boot screen with xbox 360 on it and just sits there. Instead it gives me an unrecognizable disk error.

It sounds like it has the right daughter board but the laser is going bad and can't read dual layer.

Genesis model 1
PS1 with Stealth chip
PS3 OFW
PS3 REX 4.82
PS4
OXbox X3 all soft modded
Dreamcast
Wii with WODE Jukebox