Community
Submit
Marketplace

Sony Profeel KX-2501a Input Scart Problem

Retro console mods

Sony Profeel KX-2501a Input Scart Problem

Postby Floydthebarber » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:06 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice with an issue I am having with trying to connect this old CRT TV to a working scart input connection. As some of you might know, I am wanting to get into doing RGB mods on older consoles, but in order to do that I first need a monitor that will display RGB. At first I was looking at purchasing a Sony PVM or BVM on ebay but shipping those heavy CRT is so expensive so I searched locally first. To my surprise I found a CRT that does analog and digital RGB, except the way to connect to the RGB signals is totally different than with the Sony PVM's and BVM's.

Sony PVM's and BVM's that do RGB usually connect through BNC connectors that lead to a Scart male or female connector. On this Sony KX-2501a there is a proprietary 34 pin connector not BNC connectors. Here is a photo of the back of the TV where the audio video inputs are located

Right at the top of the inputs, where you can't see because of the flash, it says "RGB Multi Input" so I know the signals are there, now I just have to tap into them. I found a pinout for this connector here

I also found a good write-up from someone who designed a way to connect his Sony-25XBR, which has the exact same connector to his Amiga 1200 and display in RGB. Here is a link to the write-up

http://www.inwap.com/inwap/chez/kv25xbr.txt

From what I can see it looks like the only connections I need from that 34 pin connector are pins 1,34,20,3,24,7,25,8,26,9,27,10,13,30. Like the author of that write-up mentions a floppy drive 34 conductor cable connector fits fine in the Sony 34 pin proprietary connector. So now I just have to figure out how to get those connections I need connected to either a female or male scart connector. Any advice? Should I use regular perf board or strip board in between the ribbon cable and the Scart connector? Should I avoid using a pcb in between altogether? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Floydthebarber 6

Re: Sony Profeel KX-2501a Input Scart Problem

Postby thewheelman282 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:18 am

depending on how the monitor works, you may have to supply 1-3V to pin 29 to tell it your supplying an RGB signal. maybe not. also, consoles dont supply v-sync and h-sync individually (mostly computers do this, like the amiga). some supply their own "sync" signal on a pin while others dont supply sync by itself and rely on composite video for sync. you may run into problems getting the monitor to accept the sync the console is feeding it because of this. maybe not. you have to experiment with it first. before building anything, i would connect it all up to a breadboard to test what works and what doesnt

>Helpful Tutorials<
How to properly burn PS1 games
How to use XboxHDM
How to install FreeMCBoot on your PS2
How to properly burn Dreamcast games

Image My YouTube Channel >> thewheelman282
Watch tutorials on console modding, repair, and more

The Golden Rule of Xbox Modding:
Backup eeprom.bin to your PC
Violators will be smacked!
thewheelman282 9

Custom Title: Brevity is the soul of wit

Postby Floydthebarber » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Thanks for your suggestions wheelman. I decided to probe around the connector signals to see whether or not some the pinout diagrams I have been seeing are correct, and I found out that most are not. Here is a link to the correct pinout

http://pinouts.ru/Home/sonyrgbmulti_pinout.shtml#

The bottom row of pins are pins 1-17 and the top row are 18-34, most pinout diagrams of this connector have this part mixed up.

Floydthebarber 6

Postby Floydthebarber » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:00 am

Well this project is looking more and more doable. I have now found two instances where people have used this proprietary Sony 34 pin connector to display analog RGB. The first guy used it to display an Amiga 1200 in RGB

link here http://www.inwap.com/inwap/chez/kv25xbr.txt

The next guy used it to display his Apple IIgs in RGB

link here http://blog.andyselle.com/2015/06/17/a-rgb-display-for-an-apple-iigs/#comment-405

There are actually pictures to go along with his setup which really helps. Check them out

Now I had already decided to use a 34 conductor ribbon cable for a regular floppy drive, and I have attached it to a 17 pole double row header, that has been soldered to a strip board. I cut the traces between the header on the bottom of the stripboard in order to isolate each signal. I have two 7 pole block terminals that I want to install on either side of the header on the stripboard. Now instead of connecting the signals to a DB9,DB15 or DB25 I want to connect it to a female scart connector, making it easy to connect RGB modded consoles to the TV. Here are some pictures of what I have so far.

There is a wiki page with a female scart connector pinout on the right of the page here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

Is it going to be as simple as matching up as many of those connections into the 7 pole block terminals on the stripboard as I can? I know with PVM's and BVM's with BNC connectors all they connect to is the Red, Green, Blue, input and ground, then audio left and right input and ground, and finally Csync or composite sync. All of which this 34 pin Sony TV has. Here is an actual pinout of the connector

http://pinouts.ru/Home/sonyrgbmulti_pinout.shtml

I decided not to go with using a breadboard to start with seeing as I will have two 7 pole block terminals that I can just plug wires in and out of. Acts pretty much the same way as a breadboard. So what do you guys think, am I getting close? I still have to fix a purity issue first with the CRT, before I actually decide to use this monitor as an RGB monitor. If it all works though, having a 25" RGB monitor will kick ass :) I actually just wanted it for a test monitor to start with, but now I am thinking that I wouldn't mind having it as a regular retro gaming monitor. I am excited to get it all working.

Floydthebarber 6

Postby thewheelman282 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:02 am

it should be pretty simple to wire in a female scart connector if you can figure out how to mount it to your strip board. consoles use the signals you listed above so there shouldnt be any extra caveats to overcome. wire it up and let us know how it goes :)

>Helpful Tutorials<
How to properly burn PS1 games
How to use XboxHDM
How to install FreeMCBoot on your PS2
How to properly burn Dreamcast games

Image My YouTube Channel >> thewheelman282
Watch tutorials on console modding, repair, and more

The Golden Rule of Xbox Modding:
Backup eeprom.bin to your PC
Violators will be smacked!
thewheelman282 9

Custom Title: Brevity is the soul of wit