Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Installing PC games for beginners

Come here if you are having PC gaming related issues

Installing PC games for beginners

Postby sasapinjic » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Get little tired of typing same things all over again , so to save time in the future , i decided to create little guide where i will redirect newbies from now on .

Simple general guide for Installing PC games using "Deamon Tools Lite"virtual drive program :

1.Find and download game ( place all parts of game if download is in parts in same download folder ) , make sure that you check will game will work for you by checking uploader info and comments of on what OS game will work and on what will not work . Also make sure all parts are downloaded completed and without errors . In case of troubles , try some other browser , check your connection , turn off things that may disturb download ( like you browsing lot of things , watching movies , playing some hardware demanding game , etc , all that can disturb downloading process ) .

2.Extract download using programs like 7-zip or WinRar ( or part 001 or part 1 if download is in parts ) until you get ISO ( image of game), some games are double packed so if you get like parts 01-50 , just extract part 01 again .

3.Start Deamon Tools and click on "add image" ( icon that looks like CD and + ) and find Image you want to install and double click on it .

4. Once image shows up in "image catalog" in Deamon Tools , left click on image then click on "mount" ( icon that looks like play on VCR/DVD ) and you will get game install options, so install game flowing in-game build installation guide .
If you install game from more than one ISO , mount first ISO until install program ask for second disc , then go to Deamon Tools , un-mount first ISO , mount second , then go back to install program and click continue .

5. After game is installed don't start it yet !" First find crack folder for game ( usually provided in download either easy to find or hided in ISO , in which case you can find it by exploring ISO ) , copy everything in side crack folder and paste it all on same place game is installed ( yes , overwrite original exe ) , which will fool anti-pirating measures that you use originals . If you start game before crack is installed then try to ad crack later , game may work fine , or it may report error so in which case you have to un-install game completely , then install it again from beginning .

6. Start game .

Additionally some tips :

Some games install game completely so ISO is no longer needed , while some only partially install games and Mounted ISO is needed every time you play game .
To test do you need ISO , after game is installed and tested that work correctly , unmount ISO from Deamon tolls and start game . If EVERYTHING works correctly , you can erase ISO ( to save space on HDD ) , but if there is no music , some errors report in , some glitches show , or game cant play at all , just exit game , again mount same ISO again on same way , and start game again , it will work without any error .

Have fun .

New Members read me
Newbie PC games installation guide
my Finds
myUPLOADS
sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(LightningBoltScumbag)

Re: Installing PC games for beginners

Postby Lz18 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:38 pm

These tips might also be of help

Most games here are archived to speed up download times. You'll need WinRar or 7Zip to extract them, and PowerISO to mount the CD image for installation. Google 'how to use PowerIso' for more info.

If you encounter a file divided into numerous archive files (example: game.001, game.002, game.003) then you'll have to open the first file with WinRar and simply extract its contents. If you get an error, it's likely because some archive files are missing (not located in the same folder).

Game downloads are essentially divided into full disc versions that you can mount with PowerIso or "ripped" versions.

These "rips" are working games that have some content (intro movies, music, sound effects) removed but are otherwise workable. They may have Setup.exe or Install.exe in the game folder that you must run to auto-extract essential files. Many also have a registry program that must be applied before starting the game.

Got an error extracting a 7zip file with WinRar? Then don't use WinRar.

Most games have an information (.nfo) text file alongside the CD file. Open them with NotePad and READ the instructions.

If a 90s era Windows game doesn't run on your brand-new computer, you might want to consider DOWNGRADING to something that the game was actually designed for. Old offline Windows XP SP3 machines are still a great solution for running many old games. For games that XP can't run, use a Virtual Machine to simulate a Windows 98 or 95 environment.

Some 90s games (Shadow Warrior, Quake 2, Rival Realms) will have music files coded on the CD alongside game files (these come as BIN/CUE CDs). I've found the best solution to playing the music tracks ingame is to run the game in a Win98 environment, and making sure the CD file is mounted on the PRIMARY optical drive within Win98.

To play MS DOS era games on modern operating systems you have to use a DOS emulator, such as DosBox.

My PC Gaming website - Retro PC Game Reviews, Downloads, etc: http://oldpcgaming.net/

Certified 16-bit Troll
Lz18 5

Postby DiscoBitch » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:22 pm

Lz18 wrote:You'll need ... PowerISO to mount the CD image for installation.
- what is the point of telling people they need PowerISO? They don't. As the first post says, Daemon Tools can be used. If the CD has copy protection, Daemon Tools can over come it in some cases, where other CD mounting software won't. On the other hand, it is better to install a no-CD crack as the first post describes, because then you don't need to mount a CD when you run the game.
Windows 10 can mount ISO images natively so you don't need any 3rd party program: right-click the ISO file in Windows Explorer then click Mount.
Note: In some cases you might not need to mount the CD at all. You can extract the contents of ISO images using 7-zip the same as you do with a .7z or .zip file. Possibly better for installing non-game software which doesn't have CD copy protection.

DiscoBitch 3

Custom Title: Unspoilt By Progress

Postby Zerohour2k12 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:32 pm

This topic should be pinned! :D very helpful stuff for newbies! :D

My Uploads
Now Playing
Age of Mythology Gold Edition
Batman Arkham City GOTY
Assassin's Creed II
Silent Hill Homecoming
Halo - Combat Evolved
Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time
Zerohour2k12 8

Custom Title: LeftyGuyGamerDude :)

Postby dreamcast459 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:06 am

this should be a sticky

sucessfull trade with ware-wolf my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/4599kane/videos
MMO's that i play star trek online and shot online

systems i own
dreamcast
saturn chip modded
N64
sega game gear
orig-xbox
xbox360
dreamcast459 13

Postby catch_2030 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:19 am

I made this a sticky 5 hours ago.

"Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon."
~E.M. Forster~

TIZ Legal Notice

Please report requests that have been filled!
catch_2030 Moderator

Custom Title: Can't stump the Trump!

Postby Lz18 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:15 am

DiscoBitch wrote: what is the point of telling people they need PowerISO? They don't. As the first post says, Daemon Tools can be used.

Personal preference. And Daemon Tools or at least Daemon Tools lite does not support DAA

My PC Gaming website - Retro PC Game Reviews, Downloads, etc: http://oldpcgaming.net/

Certified 16-bit Troll
Lz18 5

Postby catch_2030 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:50 am

For people that have issues with multi-part downloads, use the program that most likely made the split archive. If you see .7z in the name, 7zip should be used. If you see .rar or r## (#= a number), use WinRAR

7zip isnt always smart enough to detect a multi-part RAR archive just like WinRAR isnt always smart enough to detect a multi-part 7zip archive. Installing both is a great idea.

"Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon."
~E.M. Forster~

TIZ Legal Notice

Please report requests that have been filled!
catch_2030 Moderator

Custom Title: Can't stump the Trump!

Postby ilikeships » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Nice guide. If some people have problems with running Daemon Tools they could also try UltraISO - it's a good alternate for Daemon Tools.

ilikeships Newbie

Postby justinrhodes » Mon May 01, 2017 11:40 am

Hi there, thanks for sharing this post this useful post. Last week my friend had bought overwatch online from Instant-gaming to give a surprise gift to his younger brother and he has some problems installing the game. I think this will really going to help him.

justinrhodes Newbie

Postby sasapinjic » Sat May 20, 2017 9:05 am

Can Moderator EDIT my first post and stick some additional info in this guide ?

( Added info for 4. case of game on more than one ISO ) .

This should be posted right after 4 :

If you install game from more than one ISO , mount first ISO until install program ask for second disc , then go to Deamon Tools , un-mount first ISO , mount second , then go back to install program and click continue .

New Members read me
my Finds
myUPLOADS
sasapinjic 13

Postby jessica1006 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:28 am

sasapinjic wrote:Get little tired of typing same things all over again , so to save time in the future , i decided to create little guide where i will redirect newbies from now on .

Simple general guide for Installing PC games using "Deamon Tools Lite"virtual drive program :

1.Find and download game ( place all parts of game if download is in parts in same download folder ) , make sure that you check will game will work for you by checking uploader info and comments of on what OS game will work and on what will not work . Also make sure all parts are downloaded completed and without errors . In case of troubles , try some other browser , check your connection , turn off things that may disturb download ( like you browsing lot of things , watching movies , playing some hardware demanding game , etc , all that can disturb downloading process ) .

2.Extract download using programs like 7-zip or WinRar ( or part 001 or part 1 if download is in parts ) until you get ISO ( image of game), some games are double packed so if you get like parts 01-50 , just extract part 01 again .

3.Start Deamon Tools and click on "add image" ( icon that looks like CD and + ) and find Image you want to install and double click on it .

4. Once image shows up in "image catalog" in Deamon Tools , left click on image then click on "mount" ( icon that looks like play on VCR/DVD ) and you will get game install options, so install game flowing in-game build installation guide .

5. After game is installed don't start it yet !" First find crack folder for game ( usually provided in download either easy to find or hided in ISO , in which case you can find it by exploring ISO ) , copy everything in side crack folder and paste it all on same place game is installed ( yes , overwrite original exe ) , which will fool anti-pirating measures that you use originals . If you start game before crack is installed then try to ad crack later , game may work fine , or it may report error so in which case you have to un-install game completely , then install it again from beginning .

6. Start game .

Additionally some tips :

Some games install game completely so ISO is no longer needed , while some only partially install games and Mounted ISO is needed every time you play game .
To test do you need ISO , after game is installed and tested that work correctly , unmount ISO from Deamon tolls and start game . If EVERYTHING works correctly , you can erase ISO ( to save space on HDD ) , but if there is no music , some errors report in , some glitches show , or game cant play at all , just exit game , again mount same ISO again on same way , and start game again , it will work without any error .

Have fun .

Hell
May i know that the installation of all PC games is same???

jessica1006 Newbie

Postby sasapinjic » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Hell
May i know that the installation of all PC games is same???

Mostly yes , since this is general guide for Installing PC games using virtual drive program , or games installed from disc .
Exceptions are mostly self installed games , like ones from steam or GOG .

New Members read me
my Finds
myUPLOADS
sasapinjic 13

Postby GhostSta1ker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:37 am

Sorry this is probably stupid but i've never encountered this before...

I installed a game via .iso as usual but whenever i try to run it it gives me the error

"application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022)

i tried running it as an administrator and changing it to always run as an administrator but still no dice... any ideas? :shock:

GhostSta1ker Newbie

Postby sasapinjic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:08 am

Postby GhostSta1ker » 03 Sep 2017, 07:37

Sorry this is probably stupid but i've never encountered this before...

I installed a game via .iso as usual but whenever i try to run it it gives me the error

"application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022)

i tried running it as an administrator and changing it to always run as an administrator but still no dice... any ideas? :shock:

What OS you have ?
What game you want to to install ?
Where you get it ?
etc .
More info = better help ! ;)

New Members read me
my Finds
myUPLOADS
sasapinjic 13

Return to Troubleshooting