Submit
Marketplace

The Iso Zone

The best Total Conversions for existing games

For discussions based on Windows games

The best Total Conversions for existing games

Postby TDG » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Hello all,

I recently decided to buy Command and Conquer Generals on Ebay. Not because I want to play that game but rather because a team on Moddb made a total conversion based on the original Command and Conquer Tiberium Dawn, recreating its Single Player and Multi Player mode.
Even some of the planned but cut units of C&C TD have been brought back and feature in a series of missions set after the original GDI/Nod campaigns.

In the past I have been following other Total Conversion project for existing games. A TC for example that sought to recreate the original Star Wars Dark Forces in the Star Wars Jedi Academy engine.
Sadly that one did not get finished.

And there are many more such projects. Not all of them involve recreating an older game in one of its successor, some TC are about building a completely new setting/campaign/universe on top of another game, only using some of the original assets such as the gameplay to make the new game work.

I am probably missing out on a couple that could be to my interest so I would like to ask which other TCs, both finished and still in development are worth checking out.

The Doom modding scenes has several in development and perhaps there are also TCs still in development for other mod friendly games such as Half Life/Half Life 2.

The genres I am most interested in is the science fiction genre with the gameplay being action-adventure or FPS. Any RPG ones are also welcome.

Anyone here any suggestions?

Earth is like a twenty-four hour seven days a week stupidity contest that has been running for centuries, and every time they are ready to announce a winner a new contender appears.
TDG 2

Re: The best Total Conversions for existing games

Postby ZX81v2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:40 pm

ZX81v2 13

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby XamX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Enderal (Total Conversion of Skyrim)
Spoiler:

plus my favorite ROM Hacks:
Super Mario World - Return to Dinosaur Land
The Legend of Zelda - Parallel Worlds
The Legend of Zelda - Goddess of Wisdom
Wiimms Mario Kart Fun
Another Mario World 2 - Luigi's Mission
Super Mario Land 2 DX - 6 Golden Coins (Color Patch)

XamX 7

Postby gentleheretic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:27 am

What ZX said, ModDB is the go-to place for pretty much every mod you can imagine, including the bad ones. However, if you like Halo:CE, there's Project Lumoria, which is a pretty solid campaign with some new toys and maps that don't feel out of place with the original. Voice acting is awful, but I think it was just the devs so I can't be too harsh, and the authenticity of the gameplay makes up for it.If you like excess, SPV3 is downright gluttonous, with new enemies, weapons, and redesigned maps galore. It's a lot of fun, but significantly harder than the original.

gentleheretic 2

Custom Title: Ooh, what does this do?

Postby Tierwad » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:45 am

Brutal Doom, hands down.

Knee Deep in Doom
Tierwad 2

Custom Title: Habitual Doomer

Postby NantoCodd » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Doom 3 have The Dark Mod, a TC that essentially turn it into a Thief game. For the classic Doom II, there's Action Doom series. AD I turn Doom into Metal Slug-like FPS with you have only a single health point, while AD II turn Doom into Streets of Rage-like FPS brawler.

NantoCodd Newbie

Return to Windows Games